Mandrake 10.1 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belle1479

Baseband Member
I'm currently using a Suse Linux OS because I couldn't get the Mandrake 10.1 to connect to the internet. I purchased the Powerpack, which I'm thinking is bugged to where I couldn't connect to the internet, also KDE wouldn't work either. I asked a question in another forum but they look down upon new people asking questions. I'm using a CNet external serial modem which I know is compatible with Linux, and worked right off with the Suse OS. The modem will dial out with the Mandrake but just won't connect. So I can't even use my OS at all, nor even download the updates. Should I just purchase a new one? I'm thinking it's "bugged". If I don't need to purchase another one, then what should I do? BTW, I'm new to Linux anyway. I'm not really prepared to pay for asking questions on Mandriva until I can connect. I'm almost certain, too, that it would not be answered in just one question and response.

I wouldnt buy any version of linux, mandrake should have worked but off the top of my head I dont know why it didnt.Id stick with Suse for now and learn as much as you can then switch later if you want to.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm moving next month, so I thought to try to install it if we get broadband again, rather than being stuck on dial up out here in the woods. It might work then. If not, then I will just reinstall Suse.

i'm completely new too and i installed slackware 10.1 with only a couple of problems. the people here have been really helpful, even with my stupid questions

Thank you straightv6. Well, I don't think I'll bother with going to that other forum anymore. You all seem a lot more friendly and helpful. So...........this is my new home!! :)

straightv6 said:
i'm completely new too and i installed slackware 10.1 with only a couple of problems. the people here have been really helpful, even with my stupid questions
Good move ! IMHO Slackware is the best distro to learn linux on, anyone coming from Suse/Mandrake will be amazed at how simple it is in comparison.

Belle, go to a terminal and type ifconfig. You need to be su to do this. Let us know what it displays. It might be a simple problem.

Well I currently don't have it installed on this computer anymore. I'll have to install it onto another computer and let you know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom