Man Killed By Exploding PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, it doesn't say it was a desktop computer...maybe it was a macbook. ;) They do get hotter than the friggin' sun.

I wonder if there was some sort of catalytic reaction with the silicon/aluminum sort of like a thermite reaction?

You have to consider there are quite a few types of metal in a box.... maybe it would take just a small bit of magnesium to jumpstart a fireball?

It's possible, but thermite burns, it doesn't explode.

...or it was a dust explosion...

Dust explosions happen with saw dust or coal dust. I haven't heard of it happening with the kind of dust in a household. When you have a dust explosion, it tends to be in a mine, or in some kind of wood shop.

You know, it doesn't say it was a desktop computer...maybe it was a macbook. ;) They do get hotter than the friggin' sun.

I loled

I really don't think we can definitively tell what happened without seeing the case, but if the bezel has been blown off or blasted through then I think we can say with high probability that it was an explosive. Even as things stand, I'm leaning towards that.

Just reference here is a laptop exploding.
YouTube - Laptop PC explodes violently

Although violent and dangerous I doubt it would be deadly. And even so the blast isn't powerful enough to cause death by burning. The man was charred. That means he was quickly enveloped in a large and extremely hot fire ball. Few things can do that, and the most likely culprit is a bomb.

Perhaps he accidentally left a can of bug spray connected to a molex connector as you do the spark from the molex mad the can explode. Dust explosions can happen with virtually all dust with a clorie content that is sufficient for the chain reaction of igniting the rest of the dust it doesn't have to be a traditional fuel source like the hydrocarbons you stated, Great fun blowing up flour bags on halloween :)

also it depends on what kind of clothing he was wearing. polyester burns very easly, computer blows up, polyester jacket and pants boom your toast amigo.

Edit: he could work in an enviroment where he gets flamable chemicles on his clothing goes hoem to check his junk ery fast it lights and he burns, i wana see this on myth busters :D

That means he was quickly enveloped in a large and extremely hot fire ball.

And here's another question, how would that much heat NOT set the rest of the apt on fire?

maybe he was burned doing something else entirely and then moved to appear to have been burned while at the computer?

The fireball form an explosion is fierce but short lived. If it was a small explosion then it is possible that it didn't burn anything else. They also didn't say how much of him was charred. If it was his entire body then the rest of the room should have been on fire, but if his face or torso was just burned then that means he was hit with a directed blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom