Making the Upgrade

HanaiKenji

Baseband Member
I just bought a new video card. A AGP one to replace my integrated, how do I remove it to use my ATI Vid card? I've opened my computer located my AGP slot and tried to put it in.

My friends are saying to remove the monitor jack (Blue) from the mobo (two other similar Jacks are connected to it I think) and use the monitor jack from the video card. I've tried just inserting the new video card and using its monitor jack, and not remove the integrated. Booted up the computer but the monitor did not show anything (all gray). It seems though those jacks are connected with the mobo somehow with a whole lot of small screws to keep it there. I am afraid I might screw something up if I do remove it. Do you think I should remove it?

Heres the best I can do without taking a picture
Please give me your input of how to do this.

comp.jpg

You don't want to remove the integrated video card(lol its integrated it won't come out anyway), it should automatically disable the integrated and change over to your AGP card. Make sure the card is inserted in the AGP slot firmly.

I've tried just inserting the AGP card and booting the computer up. It still says I am using the integrated. BTW I have a Compaq Presario S5400NX. Oh and which monitor jack should I use?

I've tried just inserting the AGP card and booting the computer up. It still says I am using the integrated. BTW I have a Compaq Presario S5400NX. Oh and which monitor jack should I use?

You may have to go into the bios and change the graphics priority i.e which method it will look for first

Now how do I get into the Bios?

EDIT: I've found the set up, though should I insert the AGP card first and then change the bios? or change it now, then insert it?

EDIT 2: There was no disable/enable Onboard but there was: Primary Video Adaptor. It was set to PCI before, now I set it to AGP/Onboard. Do you guys think that the Primary Video Adaptor set to PCI was the problem?

did that and still no luck. I don't know but it seems like my computer doesn't know that the AGP card is there. Sometimes the monitor does not even work any of the Monitor jacks. It never worked on the AGP monitor jack. So i'm really frustrated and confused now.

did you plug the monitor cable into the agp video card? it should just work that way if not then prol something wrong with the card.

ok set up the computer all normal, then turn it off, install the agp card, unplug the monitor cable from the back of the computer and re plug it onto the blue port on the back of the agp card. now turn back on. should work.

oh i dont know if you mentioned it but what is the video card?

Well the Video card is an ATI Excalibur 9250 a rather old video card my friend gave to me since he wasn't using it. I've tried what you told me, the monitor doesn't show anything after plugging it into the monitor jack at the back of the video card, its all gray while the computer is booting up. Actually at one point, when something did pop up while the monitor cable was attached, there were these strange lines, it looked sorta like static going down the monitor and I couldn't press anything. I didn't think that was good so I went back to my original set up. Could it be my AGP slot is messed? Or the video card is messed?

well good news, the video card works now, I did it one last time, a nice firm hand, and it is up. I have no idea why it didn't work the other times.

Back
Top Bottom