Making Java into .exe programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdclark2

Beta member
So I have taken several years of java programming in school(a couple in college) but the pace is a bit slow and I haven't come across anything yet about how to turn the code I write into actual, usable programs I can transfer to other people's computers as an .exe file or some such.
What would be the best way of transferring code(mostly simple programs with simple GUI's) to .exe files? Does the best method change depending on how in-depth the GUI is? Or are some methods better than others for all projects? I feel like I can do a lot in Java, but that I am still a noob in the ways of actual software development. That's probably because I am I guess.
Any pointers?

well if you're so good why don't you know how to do this already?? :p just joking

uhm first semester computer science major so i don't know much in the way of it yet so i don't know about it either :\ I do know that the compiler we use (bluej) has an option to make .jar files :\ but nothing in the way of .exe

uhmm after a quick google search most people mention having to have a java virtual machine , some say some compilers can do it, and some say you have to convert it to a form of C and then do it :| but again I don't know any of this myself :\

and maybe if you're wanting to know...ask your profressor(that is, if you're still in school)

Another way to share executable programs made with Java is to create Java packages, which can be done from IDEs such as Eclipse and NetBeans. They are not EXEs but are executable providing the destination machine after the transfer also has JDK and JRE Runtime Environment installed.

Right, and like I said above, the OP can use Java apps across several platforms but as kmote said, don't make them EXE's, instead keep them as .java files along with their support files, which is usually packed from the IDE being used. Then the client machines must have Java installed to run them but that isn't a problem to install as we all know.

Well actually I meant don't try to save the app as an exe, keep it as a .java and save it as a .jar, yes. Thanks for the clarification if I was vague :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom