Making DVD's from old VHS tapes

mike ballard

Beta member
Hi all i'm having a bad time trying to make some DVD's to save preserve old VHS stuff, TV shows, really old Vids that are not copy protected. i have a old Belkin thing that you plug the VCR into Video, right, left and then it plugs into a USB. i can get the pics but no sound, the belkin thing is about 4 years old, so there must be some new "better" stuff out there?

my puter is a new dual core from dell running media center XP if that means anything. would like some good software and what ever else i need to go along with it. i'm a puter "idiot" so keep it simple please.

thanks to all of you for your help in the past

so you're using the USB adapter to take composite video and then sound as well,

try putting the sound directly to the line ni on your computer, or check your recording program to check what input the should is coming from.

thank you i'll try that, i assumed that because it's a one piece unit that the sound and the vid would go to the usb port. also in the software i should see if the sound can be picked up from the usb, or if it has to be inputed from the sound card inputs?

There are VCR units out there that can read both VHS and DVD. Although it's a bit more expensive, some even have DVD burning capabilities where you burn the media from the VHS tape. Not sure if that will help, but it's just a little heads up. :)

Just get a DVD writer, they work just like Tivo, only it records video or audio in real time staight to the dvd. The one I have can record a one hour dvd (best quality) or up to eight hours. (still very good digital quality)

I can fit up to four two hours movies onto one dvd, and they are cheap too, only about $120 bucks. (well worth it though)

Back
Top Bottom