Making a website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Threepwood

Daemon Poster
I'm thinking about making a website and I'm wondering what the best way to go about it is.

Do most of the good looking websites use prebuilt editors like dreamweaver, or do the true pros use HTML?

To make nice button interfaces what is used? Java?

Nope. Most good looking websites use PHP or ASP scripts with a database at the backend.
There are free scripts out of there that you can install to create a web portal. PHP Nuke, Joomla are one of the most popular.
If you don't know how to code, you might want to hire a freelancer to do the job for you.

You only really need PHP or ASP scripts if you're creating dynamic web pages. If you're just looking to get a site to post up stuff, then html is fine. You can look on the web for templates, and just use something like dreamweaver or another WYSIWYG editor to modify it to your liking. Of you can creat one of your own from scratch.

Alright well I mean for things like personal websites that look decent. I'm not planning on having dynamic content or anything, and no ecommerce or anything like that.

I just want a decent looking site where I can put up stuff for fun. So far HTML seems to be pretty good, I'm having some problems figure out how to align stuff and how to easily make similar pages. Like I have my front page, and want all other pages to have the exact same layout, and the exact same side buttons but I can't find an easy way to do this short of copying and pasting stuff onto them.

There must be something though, I'll go through more tutorials.

I've got so much goin on with this, AGS, photoshop and Java that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, I'll get it in time I'm sure.

Instead of using html use xhtml or xml, i personally prefer them over html. In html mistakes can be made and the computer can still run the page. But, if you make a piece later on in your document that conflicts with your mistake, it will be very hard to find your original problem. xhtml doesn't let you make any mistakes whatsoever. Then you can use css to style your web page.

For the type of site you're creating, you don't really need PHP, ASP, XML, and definately not Java. Simply use HTML and a little bit of CSS (for alignment). Or, you can get a site template.

to make a good website you need to combine many thing such as HTML, PHP, MySQL, aswell as other things such as small java programs and flash that is a complete and good website if you want a good website you need to atleast have knowledge of HTML.

Well, if he were making a serious website and not just a simple personal site, he would need things like PHP, SQL, etc. However, he said he simply wants a personal site with no dynamic content. There is really no point in spending a month to learn PHP, MySQL, Java, CSS, Flash, and then spending $300 on a decent Flash editor for just a personal site. Also, Mr_Threepwood, what do you mean but button interfaces?

oh thats true but deffenetly learn HTML and CSS. CSS is one of the most valuable tools for making your site look good HTML and CSS go together like lamb and tuna fish (hope uve seen big daddy to understand that lol).

html is nice and basic, easy to edit and maintain (imho). css just makes it even easier on top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom