Making a server

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need lots of RAM and normally a large H/D. Preferably a RAID array. But yeah, depends on what you are using it for.

Ok... so I want a server just for myself... how would I go about doing it on my notebook?

What is the point of it? What do you hope to achieve and we can assist you.

VNC/VPN server? SAN/NAS?

Any computer hooked up to the internet with public (account protected or not) access is a server.

I want to test php on my computer and I'm using apache but I need a domain and a server name... however I do not have one. So I wish to make my own server somehow. Is this possible?

Do you want it so others can see the page from outside the LAN?

If so: http://www.whatismyip.org/

And you will need to forward/open port 80 if you are behind a router of have a firewall.

To get a domain you need to purchase one unfortunately but there are free solutions, dydns if you do not have a static IP (needs a router that supports it) or dottk if you have a static IP.

This is what I don't understand. Why do I have to purchase a domain? The internet has unlimited space. Therefore couldn't I make my own domain somehow?

because your IP has to be mapped to a specific name, thats how DNS works

unless you register an IP and name with ICANN then the only way someone can reach your server is to use the IP address, there is a way around this but thats another thread in itself

and the internet does not have unlimited space, IP addresses are limited to a set of 4 bytes at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom