make LED lights sync to computer games

SPabs

Beta member
My friend recently built a computer... beast of a thing.
Its got these built in blue LED lights that make the sick case look even sicker.

Now, I had heard somewhere through the grapevine over the years at one point that someone had done something to make their LED lights flash every time they leveled up in WoW.

And, since Xmas is coming up, I figured I would want to do something like this as a gift.

You see, my buddy and I don't play WoW, but we're pretty avid LoL players.

So, my question is: how would I program these blue LED lights flash each time his champion leveled up?

I can't find anything on google... usually that holds the answer to all my questions, but I'm either too stupid to know what keywords to type in, or google's too stupid to know the answer.

Thanks in advance for any help!

TL:DR read it, it's a cool story bro

To build such system you will need to do a lot of work, maybe your friend will get just a beta version :D
I don't done any thing similar, but it is interesting. I would start from: where the game holds level and how it is updated during the game = XVar. XVar code should be encrypted. Then there should be something like this: XVar -> C++ Code leads to the -> LED Micro Controller (low level language code, maybe assembler or C) -> Specified LED lights up (LED + Some inspirational music would be awesome :D ) .
Google: programmable led micro controller
I helped as much as i can :D

@wytas: I didn't think it'd be that difficult, maybe a beta version will have to do :D, it looks like I'll have to do a little research. That helps out a lot, thanks! Do you think I could use Java instead of C++?

@office politics: Thanks! I looked him up and watched his video, pretty sweet! I'll see if I can't PM calcprogrammer1 and see if he might be able to give me some advice (if he still uses the forums).

Thanks so much, any additional help is extremely appreciated!

@wytas: I didn't think it'd be that difficult, maybe a beta version will have to do :D, it looks like I'll have to do a little research. That helps out a lot, thanks! Do you think I could use Java instead of C++?
JAVA was created to change C++ language, in my opinion if C++ could work than JAVA should too.
But... controller requires low level language, to compile JAVA or C++ controller should have compilator JAVA - Java Virtual Maschine, C++ - Don't know how it cold :D. Compiliator compile code in to byte code - maschine language.
I suggest to look to some assembly language.
Basically assembly language should have too a compiler (but very low level), i think maschine code is 0 and 1. :rolleyes: Fix me some one if i am wrong.

Yeah you'll have to grab the data from the LoL executable so coding them in the same language would make your life easier. And then yeah just pass it down to an assembly language program to run the lights. It's not that difficult but it's no HelloWorld.java

Yeah you'll have to grab the data from the LoL executable so coding them in the same language would make your life easier. And then yeah just pass it down to an assembly language program to run the lights. It's not that difficult but it's no HelloWorld.java

Good, good, java's good, I like java, I programmed in java once. Looks like LoL is connected to java so I'm getting right to the heart of things.

Damn! HelloWorld is my speciality, but I suppose I can whhip something up. You say it's not that difficult, have you done this before?

If the game makes a particular noise when you level up you could create a small PCB which would detect that sound wave and would turn on the lights.
In other words make a device that connects to the internal speaker pins on the motherboard that turns LED's on when sound plays, you just need to configure it to activate when the certain "level up" sound plays

being someone who is qualified in both programming and electronics I would find this an easier option, as if you wanted to do this via a program you would need to write code that not only recognises when your level counter has been incremented by one, but that will also work with what ever device is controlling the LED's.
you can buy devices that react to sound and could mod these to only work within a certain bandwidth.

Back
Top Bottom