Major math problem - VERY COMPLICATED -

Status
Not open for further replies.
my TI-89 gave a pretty nasty looking equation.

Might be better to solve numerically than explicitly.

exactly. what i would do is use a ti-89 or something like mathematica and solve a definite integral, and then plug in the numbers for your indefinite to see if they match.

my old roommate got a bachelors in mathematics and engineering mathematics and just finished his masters for mathematics.

I dont think it'd take him too long to solve it.

I'm just a mechanical engineer, not much of what I design uses complex integrals.

haha. i actually started out as a math major... and im pretty sure mathematica isnt wrong. there is no simple answer for this integral, although 3 comes close.

man looking at that equation just makes me feel depressed and like a total idiot. i wouldnt even no where to start. i wish i had paid more attention at GCSE and AS level maths. i always used to be top of the class till i was about 15.

Ok, and for MOST people, there is absolutely no need to be able to solve this problem. That's why I hated taking math in high school - I would never use half of it in real life.

Conceptually difficult problems go beyond just the average person being able to solve a problem and get a grade.

Its the application of the concepts and being able to think beyond 2+2 that allow for innovation in every field of technology.

here's what i got by doing it by hand...
kekekegay.gif
hsugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom