Major HDD Problem

volkan

Beta member
Hi,
I accidentally pulled out the HDD IDE cable while the PC was running. And I stupidly pluged it back in while the PC was still running :( :(

The computer turned off, and I started it up again. I got the normal eMachines white screen, but after that the I get a black screen with a flashing ' _ ' on the top left.

I took the HDD out and put it as a slave on a differant system, and all was going well untill a slight nudge caused the PC to turn off, and from then on, I couldn't access the HDD.

Now I put it back into the orgiginal PC, and I get Operating System not Found.

Once again I took it to another PC, and tried it there. Now I for the error Slave HDD Failure.

I cannt afford to lose the data on the harddisk, I have all my GCSE Course work.

Please let me know what i must do.

Thanks
Volkan

you can find companies that will attempt to retrieve your data, but it costs big bucks. however yours could be totaly screwed by the sound of it.
i did a similiar thing and wrecked my mobo.
woz

Yeah, I didnt want to break the info :( But it does seem like that drives dead, and only companies like Wozelbeak said would be able to do it I'm afraid :(

Haven't you got backups anywhere?...

Go to your local police station, they might have the tools to do it. Usually just the FBI, other government facilities and police stations are capable of doing that..

Your HDD is screwed. I remember I once had on old 366MHZ Celeron with a 6GB Quantum HDD that I accidently took the power out.

It gave me the BSOD and I turned the PC off. Luckily, I didn't lose it.

The fault would have been that you replugged it when It was on

And getting your Data back would cost like $50 for 1GB

Some good old social engineering would come in handy in your situation. Like I said in my post before, the FBI and many other government facilities are able to retrieve information on your harddrive. I'm not going to go into detail on all of this, but basically you could pose as an officer at your local police station, and call some facility higher up on the "chain" Give them some mumbo jumbo on a case, and the harddrive is evidence, tell them you will send it to them to have them retrieve everything, wa-la. Then, make up some bogus about you leaving town, and tell them to send it to your brothers house, then tell them your address, (supposedly your brothers). Wa-la!

Anyways, during anytime in that situation, you are never breaking the law. Take any actions like this at your own risk. I only decided to post an example because I'm a social engineer. I amuses me at times, give me a rush, yada yada..

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
I didnt have any back-ups I just re-formatted the HDD a week ago.

Could the acctual harddisk be fine, and could it be the circuit board ontop of it that has been damaged?
If so, I have a identical HDD and I could swap the circuit boards.

Volkan

Just use the one you still have and REMEMBER TO BACK UP! It's very important, and external hard drives aren't expensive.

Probably best not to change circuit boards. If you reinstalled without any backups, could you not just use the other Hard Drive? You should have nothing to lose after such a short period.

i have alot to lose!
All the files were backed up,
but after I xfered them to my PC after
the format, a week ago, I deleted the backups,
as I was going to create new ones?

Why shouldn't I change the boards?
Its seems to be my last option.

Volkan

Back
Top Bottom