magnets unending source of energy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

homerj14

In Runtime
I was sitting here bored i was wondering do Magnets ever lose energy? I know energy cant be destroyed or created but can they use magnets for getting energy

Matter can't be created or destroyed, energy we get from the sun.

And magnets will eventually lose their magnetism, won't they?

Magnets are cool. I still find it really amazing that we generate electricity by having magnets move inside coils of wire (thus converting motional energy to electrical energy).

Then you start thinking about all the unexplained physics stuff...you think about metaphysics, string theory.....it never ends...my physics final on monday!!

well, using magnets for say, something non stationary like a car would be a very big feat. To convert magnetism to energy would take a large magnet depending on the weight of said vehicle. Now, the problem then arises that you must create a bigger magnet to do this, of course increasing the weight of the vehicle and ultimately making you need a larger magnet. So, its kind of a cycle there. You can strengthen a magnet with a constant current, but then you again have the problem of a weight ratio for motion. Usually they are stationary objects that are used for things such as large power stations.

it's the orientation of the particles that make up the magnet. Metals like Iron have a higher propensity to arrange in such fashions.

You can create a current if you run a magnet through a coil of wire (not very big)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom