Macs Hardware

Right. That doesn't make sense, but whatever.

By the way, the Mac Pro isn't a normal desktop. Back when I bought mine in 2010, it was actually cheaper than comparable workstations from Dell and HP. Obviously that's different now, but I suggest reading up on what Apple has to offer before making misleading statements.

There's a surprise . . . .

Right let's clear something up that even Mac fan boys should not be stupid enough to try and argue. MacBooks or Mac Pros have NEVER been cheaper than their exact hardware matches on a windows system.

I've tried to be fair in my posts and give Mac its credit where it is due and criticise it equally, the same with Windows based hardware.

Lets go back to the original question.

Mac hardware is no better than windows based hardware and purely talking about hardware it is overpriced in comparison with Windows counter parts.

That Overpriced statement does not take into account software, styling or the way that Apple seem to be able to get the most out of the hardware they use with their OS.

MacBooks or Mac Pros have NEVER been cheaper than their exact hardware matches on a windows system.

Your reasoning is incorrect, and you don't understand the aim of the Mac Pro.

AnandTech | Apple Mac Pro (Mid 2010) Review

Other than that the two systems are similarly configured and there's no real price premium for the Mac. You can obviously save a ton of money if you don't need a dual-socket, eight-core beast but if you're buying in this class of products Apple is price competitive. This isn't anything new. I ran the same comparison in our first Mac Pro review and came out with similar results.
Like I mentioned earlier, the Mac Pro actually came out cheaper than similarly configured workstations from HP and Dell.

Of course custom built machines will be cheaper, but people who purchase workstations aren't looking to build their own. Again, workstations are aimed at a specific audience. It's as simple as that.

The MacBook Pro with Retina display, likewise, is aimed at a niche group. If you're not looking for a notebook with that caliber of performance, you can purchase their classic MacBook Pro. Understand?

Last edited:
CANNNNNOOONNNNBAAAALLLLLLLL!!!!!

Retina Display is worthless!!!!!! They added two pixels to the display then had a british guy say "It looks better, buy it drones!" and then everyone went nuts....

Love ya J

I want people to compare apple to Windows in this thread, I know the topic says macs hardware but I wanna hear what people think are better between the 2 and which one is worth buying for all sought of different reasons, these discussions are interesting because some people think Macs are useless but to me they are looking like the future for computers. I'm sure you will see schools getting Macs instead of windows computer because the OS on the mac is easier to teach obviously it takes time to get used to it for new users.
but people who don't know a lot about computers seem to find it a lot easier using Macs then a windows

Your reasoning is incorrect, and you don't understand the aim of the Mac Pro.

AnandTech | Apple Mac Pro (Mid 2010) Review

Like I mentioned earlier, the Mac Pro actually came out cheaper than similarly configured workstations from HP and Dell.

Of course custom built machines will be cheaper, but people who purchase workstations aren't looking to build their own. Again, workstations are aimed at a specific audience. It's as simple as that.

The MacBook Pro with Retina display, likewise, is aimed at a niche group. If you're not looking for a notebook with that caliber of performance, you can purchase their classic MacBook Pro. Understand?

That's no surprise to me,they probably did that to get consumers to buy their product and once they have a lot Mac fans then that's when they raise all their prices, there is no doubt that the Mac is definitely more expensive than a windows computer of the same performance these days

Ok.... A serious reply

Windows vs. macs hmmmm what time period are we talking? Macintosh was always a niche product because gates was able to dominate business and government with networking. Apple moved into the development niche with their powerful rigs and clean operating system implementation. Windows has always been a convenience product for consumers whereas Macintosh stayed primarily in the graphic development niche... Their os and hardware interaction crushed any PC product when raw rendering power was concerned. Since the move from their proprietary hardware to intel based architecture, they've moved beyond the niche market and gained market share where PC once dominated by offering more aesthetically pleasing products and interfaces. They were able to hang on to the dogma of more power where the consumer was concerned and therefore maintained their higher price point. They do because they can. That's where they are also beating MS, consumer marketing. Apples to apples doesn't really apply as they offer different products that compare to different PC products and each comparison will its victor. Graphic artists swear by apple but I personally don't see much difference in the production environment. The difference anymore comes down to personal preference as each platform has its strengths

- posted from my iphone.

That's no surprise to me,they probably did that to get consumers to buy their product and once they have a lot Mac fans then that's when they raise all their prices, there is no doubt that the Mac is definitely more expensive than a windows computer of the same performance these days

No. Read the quote again. The numbers are in front of you.

It's not difficult reading guys.

Macs do cost more than windows PCs at least in my country they do, that's why I bought a windows PC in fact all their products are expensive but I do like their products. Try and find a windows computer and a Mac computer with almost the exact same specs and post the link on here.

PostedReview said:
Update: Dell doesn't offer a Radeon HD 5770, instead you get a much more expensive FirePro V8700 graphics card. If deduct the street price for the graphics card from each machine, the Mac Pro ends up being $324 more expensive than the Dell. The Apple tax is there, but masked by the cheaper GPU.

Update 2: There's one more key difference in the specs. The Dell comes with a 3 year warranty vs. Apple's 1 year warranty. To get 3 years from Apple you need to purchase the $249 Apple Care add-on. Also, as many have pointed out, Dell can offer significant discounts over the phone. Apple can offer large discounts as well if you are an educational or business customer.

Where you can save a ton of money building your own however. A quick look through Newegg gave us a similar configuration to the Apple and Dell systems for $1612.91 plus the cost of the OS

The numbers are indeed there. The reality is that Mac's are more expensive, apples to apples but I don't understand why that's such a big issue or huge surprise? Go buy a t-shirt from target, and then the same quality t-shirt from Banana Republic, name brands cost more. This is not a new business tactic.

There was no bait and switch by Apple. They have a different product, a recognized name, and an advantage in certain areas. Why is it that everyone complains of their price? If you had a company that sold a similar product to a competitor but your customer base had a perceived value higher than that of your competitor, would you not charge more? You can't say that you're Robin Hood and would give the money back to the consumer, because your business would fail in a matter of months, taking with it your personal savings and livelihood. They didn't become a billion dollar company by giving away the farm... Capitalism 101

Their products were cheaper in the days of Windows dominance. That shit stopped when they woke to the fact that there was a higher value in their product(s) to many a consumer.

Last edited:
The numbers are indeed there. The reality is that Mac's are more expensive, apples to apples but I don't understand why that's such a big issue or huge surprise? Go buy a t-shirt from target, and then the same quality t-shirt from Banana Republic, name brands cost more. This is not a new business tactic.

There was no bait and switch by Apple. They have a different product, a recognized name, and an advantage in certain areas. Why is it that everyone complains of their price? If you had a company that sold a similar product to a competitor but your customer base had a perceived value higher than that of your competitor, would you not charge more? You can't say that you're Robin Hood and would give the money back to the consumer, because your business would fail in a matter of months, taking with it your personal savings and livelihood. They didn't become a billion dollar company by giving away the farm... Capitalism 101

Their products were cheaper in the days of Windows dominance. That shit stopped when they woke to the fact that there was a higher value in their product(s) to many a consumer.

I have no problem with their prices but someone on here said apple wasn't more expensive than windows which isn't true at all and I think they do charge a little too much for what they are worth but I would still pay it, they put their prices up because their sales were going up not because their products were better

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom