mac vs. pc

JimJvictoria

Beta member
I'm brand new to the list and no, I'm not trying to kick off a flame war by launching this subject. I'm genuinely interested in getting some advice on my next computer purchase.

As background, I'm currently on what increasingly seems like the end of about a seven-year run with an Imac. Previously, I owned two PCs. I am most definitely NOT an expert. While I'm not computer illiterate, I would consider myself to be about grade 3. I'm okay so long as everything does as it's supposed to. Any deviation from that and I'm in trouble!

What I've really liked about the Mac is that I've never installed any anti-virus software and have never been attacked. Also, the hardware has been absolutely bullet-proof. The only time I've had it into a shop was when the operating system was getting a bit buggy and they did some upgrades and stuff that I didn't really understand. It works pretty good now but I've been advised not to upgrade to the latest OS because it was suggested that it would cause more problems than it would solve. As I was familiar with Office, I purchased Office for Mac when I bought this computer. What I don't like about Mac is the file management system which still confounds me regularly. Although I don't have very sophisticated software needs there have been times when I just haven't been able to find the variety of programs available to me when I had a PC.

I'm at the point where I think I'm going to need a new computer in the near future and I've been debating whether I should stay with Mac or go back to PC. I know that there have been attacks on Mac so the anti-virus-free-zone may well be coming to an end. I have a former client who is a very high-end PC person who insists that the new Windows Operating Systems have excellent virus protection and this shouldn't really be a deciding factor for me. He also is a fan of HP products. My past experience with PC definitely involved viruses and malware that required professional intervention.

So here is what I'm looking for. I would very much appreciate some advise from people who have a high degree of experience with both platforms and could provide me with some objective analyses about which direction I should go in. I fully understand that this is a subject that can inflame a lot of heated rhetoric so I hope that this won't happen.

Thank you very much for your help on this.

Jim

I don't think virus protection should be what concerns you either to be honest, at this point I'd say whatever gives you better bang for your buck is the best choice.

Do you just need a desktop machine (i.e. not a laptop)? If so then I'd probably recommend a PC - you can upgrade them bit by bit in the future (if you even need to at all) and it's generally cheaper to buy a tower + screen than an all-in-one iMac

If you need something portable then I'd say go with a mac, I've yet to find a non-apple laptop that matches Apple's offerings tbh. The Zenbook or Ultrabook lines are close, but still don't quite cut it from my last hands on experience (which is admittedly 1 year ago now)

For PC or laptop I would always say go for a windows machine. They are by far better value for money, and if you buy a PC or laptop for the same price as the apple counterpart you get better hardware in the windows machine.
I personally and professionally do not see a need for any apple products, they are simply over priced.

I would normally say Windows. But because of your experience with computers, I'd say go for Apple because of the ease of use. I know because my parents always bug me about something going wrong with their w10 laptop. I even remember when I was like 10 years old and they had to take their laptop to the repair shop for little things like Windows didn't start.

Get a PC/ laptop

Mac cost so much to fix is they have an issue, and you can upgrade a PC laptop easier.

Plus I'm not a Mac fan :cool:

4 replies and no questions asked that need to be asked.

What's the PC mainly used for? Do you game or plan to game? What productivity software do you use besides Office?

client who is a very high-end PC person who insists that the new Windows Operating Systems have excellent virus protection and this shouldn't really be a deciding factor for me. He also is a fan of HP products.
Gonna start off by saying, Windows defender is garbage and so is HP. So this guy may buy high end stuff but that doesn't mean he knows the difference between his *** and a hole in the ground. Sorry if that offends you or your bud but it's the truth.

I wouldn't say Macs are easier to use, but they require less upkeep. The thing is, if you do actually run into a problem it's far easier to Google for something Windows based rather than OSX based. I ran into this issue myself with my own iMac. If you have a problem that's Windows based odds are you're one out of a million and it'll be top result.

I'd say the bottom line comes down to what you plan to do with your computer, and what your budget is.

Hey, Jim! Let's see if we can help you out a bit here.

As background, I'm currently on what increasingly seems like the end of about a seven-year run with an Imac. Previously, I owned two PCs. I am most definitely NOT an expert. While I'm not computer illiterate, I would consider myself to be about grade 3. I'm okay so long as everything does as it's supposed to. Any deviation from that and I'm in trouble!
I think you should consider that you've been using a Mac for 7 years. What was the last Windows version that you used? This can be quite a learning curve if it's been a while. Take into consideration whether you want to learn a new operating system or not.

What I've really liked about the Mac is that I've never installed any anti-virus software and have never been attacked. Also, the hardware has been absolutely bullet-proof.
Well, Macs are less likely to get a virus/malware, but they are not impenetrable. The hardware is also not foolproof, although it doesn't seem to fail nearly as often as some of the others out there. There is always the chance of failure, regardless of brand.

The only time I've had it into a shop was when the operating system was getting a bit buggy and they did some upgrades and stuff that I didn't really understand. It works pretty good now but I've been advised not to upgrade to the latest OS because it was suggested that it would cause more problems than it would solve.
Updating to the latest OS shouldn't cause any problems unless your hardware will no longer support the OS. We would need a model number to verify that your hardware will support it, but we can do that later if needed.

As I was familiar with Office, I purchased Office for Mac when I bought this computer. What I don't like about Mac is the file management system which still confounds me regularly. Although I don't have very sophisticated software needs there have been times when I just haven't been able to find the variety of programs available to me when I had a PC.
So, the file system of both Mac and PC are similar when it comes to layout. They both have a user folder, and in that user folder are your folders that breakdown into music, documents, videos, etc. The easiest way on a Mac to get there is click "Go" in your menu bar, and choose the destination such as Music, Pictures, etc. Maybe that will help you a bit.

As for the software, MOST of the software folks will use on a PC is available for a Mac as well, but it may be under a different name or made by a different company. Don't be afraid to ask if there is a "Mac version" of something. Somebody will be able to tell you! :)

I'm at the point where I think I'm going to need a new computer in the near future and I've been debating whether I should stay with Mac or go back to PC. I know that there have been attacks on Mac so the anti-virus-free-zone may well be coming to an end.
Both are vulnerable, just Mac not as much as PC. That still holds true, but it's never been invincible. As for choosing, remember all of the things I've said thus far.

I have a former client who is a very high-end PC person who insists that the new Windows Operating Systems have excellent virus protection and this shouldn't really be a deciding factor for me. He also is a fan of HP products. My past experience with PC definitely involved viruses and malware that required professional intervention.
Brand doesn't matter as much as what hardware is in the machine, although you'll pay more for some brands than you will others that have the same hardware in it. Yes, you'll have more concerns with a PC and malware than you will with a Mac. No, the virus protection on Windows 10 isn't any better than it has been in the past. I would also point this out: Windows 10 harvests WAY more data than ever before. I'm not a fan of it. There is far less control than ever before over what data they're gathering.

So here is what I'm looking for. I would very much appreciate some advise from people who have a high degree of experience with both platforms and could provide me with some objective analyses about which direction I should go in. I fully understand that this is a subject that can inflame a lot of heated rhetoric so I hope that this won't happen.
Hopefully I've helped a little bit and given you some things to think about. There are great points for both platforms. Based on what you've said so far, I would lean more towards a Mac. There's less concern of malware, you're familiar with the operating system already and have been using it for almost a decade, and your biggest concern of running into issues, although it still exists on both platforms, is going to be lower on a Mac simply from a malware point of view. Yes, you can get some great antirivus programs for Windows, but the overall risk is still lower on a Mac, even without antivirus installed.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

unless your a CAD designer or some sort of digital media type work that relies on heavy graphic use, I wouldnt get a MAC.

we provide high-end spec macbooks for our design and marketing team. anything else, we use PC/ laptops.

The relevance to Macs being purposed for media and graphics is actually dwindling quite rapidly due to the wider variety of software coming to the PC and PCs having generally more horsepower when it's required. These days it's coming down to preference over anything.

The relevance to Macs being purposed for media and graphics is actually dwindling quite rapidly due to the wider variety of software coming to the PC and PCs having generally more horsepower when it's required. These days it's coming down to preference over anything.

This. IMO, only reason to actually 'need' a Mac for a business need of some sort, is if you're developing iOS apps. Because that requires a Mac system to compile the app on.

Back
Top Bottom