Mac vs. Dell

I do not understand what people have against these big companies like Dell and HP. They make perfectly fine computers! I have had a Compaq Presario running XP now for over 3 years and it hasn't failed yet. It does the job! I agree that building computers results in by far the best quality for your money, but that's not to say that all other options stink.

As for the debate between Mac vs. Dell, I personally would go with Dell just because I am familiar with the Windows OS and would probably kill myself with the compatibility issues of Macs. I download so many things that aren't available for Macs; it would just drive me insane. Macs are good for media and if you're willing to pay a high price...

Yeah, you should definitely go with a PC if you want to play any games, really. I have nothing against specific companies; go with whatever gives you what you want at the cheapest price. One thing you're going to want is a dedicated video card. That "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator" is not a dedicated card. A dedicated card is going to be something like "Nvidia 7400 Go!" or something similar. The processors that you get in laptops do not differ considerably, but make sure you get a mobile processor, and not a desktop processor stuck in a laptop. Those can cause major battery life and overheating issues. And, finally, make sure you'll be happy with it for a while, because they are expensive! :)

Hope that little insight is beneficial.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm going to try and get a great laptop, so I don't have to keep getting new ones. One great one is better then a dozen crap ones.

i have done LOT of browsing about laptops the conclusion that I have reached is this:

APPLE notebooks are for those of us who do NOT play games, because quite simple the ati 1600 video card isnt the best mobile graphics card out there. If you are just a "multimedia" person, then get an apple, lots of ease, simply better constructed than xp, and less issues. Apple computers are not for people who have a budget of less than $2000.

WINDOWS is NOT as bad as it is said to be if you are careful, which means using performance-breaking virus scan programs running 24-7. BUT if you like playing video games Windows notebooks are the ONLY way to go. Dell is offering FANTASTIC deals with 7900 series video cards, which the Apple's 1600 does not even compare to. You may not play games on your laptop too frequently but to be able to do that would be great. You can get an awesome laptop from Dell for $2000 that would cost about $2600 from Apple.

Personally, I do a lot of photo editing, rendering, 3d programs, and even a little gaming. So the Apple, despite being the industry standard for graphic design, just doesnt cut it.

Manufacturers to consider for Windows Laptops:
THe number one is undeniably Dell (this is coming from someone who hates Dell), they have the most choices, and best deals. When shopping from Dell, look around on the internet for coupons.
The other ones are ASUS, ACER, TOSHIBA, all of these offer great configurations. Asus and Toshiba have outstanding finishing and designing. Acer lacks behind in the design department, but their costs are less and configurations are a little better.

Specifications to look for in a laptop right now:
Go for the 2.16 (T2600) Intel Core Duo
At least 1 Gb of memory, preferably 667 mhz and 2 GB
17 inch LCD
7200 rpm Hard Drive (even if you are getting fewer Gigabytes, id go for a higher rpm HD)

ANd thats about it without getting too much into it :)

Dell's quality has increased a lot in the new XPS series, their designs are decent,

However if you want the "flashy" factor, you'll have to look at the glossy Toshiba notebooks.

Dells are good now I guess, mine has been a pain in the ass for 5 years, the reason is they incorporated pc1066 ram, damn stuff costs $500 for a gig!!!! they've changed now and they use ddr2 I think. I would much rather have an up to date one then this relic.

john123 said:
dude, didnt you hear the previous people say "DONT GET A DELL"

well DONT GET A DELL

if you gunna buy a pre-made computer, then at least buy an hp or something

why not a Dell? they are perfectly good machines..

from personal experience, id have to say dont go anywhere near an HP. i got my POS from hp a few years ago, and i had a stupid amount of problems with it. eventually i gave up, returned it and got a samsung M40. very good machine.

the best laptops in my opinion are samsung, toshiba and dells.. they are all good quality machines. personally, i would never buy another HP.

Now Dell, targets families, which includes gamers. Also, they are customizable for any type of use. If I could, I'd get a Dell XPS, but the damn thing is $2300. Damn their false advertisement.

DELL TARGET AUDIECENE IS THIS
LARGE CORPATIONS, Home desktop users with little knowledge of PCs.
HP is medicore.
DELL IS NOT FOR YOU

LISTEN VERY CLEARLY

IF YOU WANT A GAMING RIG PREBUILT DELL WILL FRY
IF YOU WANT A GAMING RIG PREBUILT THAT WON"T FRY GO WITH www.ibuypower.com

I HAVE USED TEHM IN THE PAST. Their machines are great, its all built with standard parts (unlike dell) its all built with lots of upgradeable features for the user to upgrade later (unlike dell) the cases are designed to be cool (unlike dell) the target audicen is gamers, and compute rusers who have an idea of what they want but dont' feel like building it themsleves (unlike dell)

www.ibuypower.com wil BE WILL BE YOUR BEST BET.
Dell is clearly not an option here for you, if you wanted to order 1,000 Pcs for your school i'd say otherwise. Now their laptops are great and just fine.

Some really nice notebooks

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=180

It has a great video card x1600s from what I heard are pretty decent and can run w/e is out today.

Heres a newegg link just take off half that ram. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102678

or this one
with a 7600 GT
http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=188

THOSE WILL RUN EVERY GAME OUTTODAY, Mmk?

Both of those cost about 1,250 bucks and guess what THEY WILL RUNE VERYTHING GAME OUT TODAY! Prob at maxed setting as well.

If you really want gaming GO WITH A PC.

Keep it cool guys, it's getting increasingly bitchy, & there is a very thin line between debating & arguing, it looks a though this might develop into flaming, it hasn't yet, but.....

Back
Top Bottom