Lowering ping time?

zombygeek

Solid State Member
I have a question about speeding up my internet connection/lowering ping time.

I live 8 miles from town, just out of reach from cable internet, so I have to have satellite internet. It's really expensive, so I just have the basic package which gives me 1 mbps downloads. But I also want to do a tiny bit of online gaming.

Well, I have a grandmother, who lives in town, and has stupidly fast internet for what she needs which is over 7 mbps. I was wondering, if I could set up a proxy, or a vpn, through her internet, to lower my ping time for my games?

Right now it's around 750, which is just absolutely terrible. I usually get kicked because it irritates people. Though, when I'm at her house, my ping is around 50. I figured it'd be faster to access a house 8 miles away, than 1000, right? I just want to get it down to something actually tolerable. 400? 500?

It's a bit of a stretch, I know. I would just set up a server at my house and invite a few friends or something, but they don't offer a server for the game I want to play.

If anything that would simply add lag time. Right now for you to play, ignoring the routers along the way, game traffic goes from the game server to your ISP and then to you or the reverse. If you were to do any kind of proxy or VPN through her internet it would go Game -> her ISP -> her Modem -> her router -> her modem -> her ISP -> your ISP - > you. As you can see all you are doing is adding a middle man and making it take longer for info to reach your computer.

Yeah, I understand that. But, I think I might try to set one up anyway. Because I'm stubborn, have no life, plus that way I could just download things there then drive over every now an then to gather my files via usb or something.

Back
Top Bottom