lost xp pro trying to reinstall 98

mustangman88

Beta member
Hello, we had to reformat everything. We were running xp pro. We have a 98 disk and boot floppy. We cannot reinstall. We have a second computer running xp home. We can install home in the other computer, but we cannot upgrade to xp pro. The home edition only has options to register, not upgrade. The HD works because we took it down here as a secondary and took everything off of it. Ram on the other one must work because we can load home. Of course home allows only the one computer. Any ideas?

have you tried reinstalling from dos? In other words, rebooting with the cd in the cdrom and allowing the computer to auto run the cd.

We tried and it did not work, we think it will not work. Will try a new cd and repost in a few days. Many thanks.

I don't think you can just upgrade from Home to Pro like that.

On Windows 2000, you can't upgrade straight to XP Home - you can only upgrade to XP Pro I believe, unless you completely reformat your drive and start over.

Don't ask me why - probably MS being difficult. Next PC I get will be home-built and will only have Windows for games. Linux will probably be my primary OS :)

Back
Top Bottom