Lost when it comes to buying new computer

hay16

Beta member
I am an audio producer and editor looking to start to edit video. I was going to download Davini Resolve but my lil mac, MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010), is not powerful enough to run the program. It's about time that I set-up a home studio, I mainly use my work studio's equipment to edit, and I'm a bit stuck on where to turn.

I've got a few options.

1) Buy a new Mac

2) Buy a new PC

3) I could keep my current mac and buy an external GPU and external drive.

Here's some more info:

My budget is 1000, that's for everything: computer, monitor, mouse, yada yadda. I use Apple devices at home, phone and laptop, but I use PC at work so I'm familiar with both. But I do like the idea of having my home-work computer work compatibility with all my other devices. I will only be using this computer for work/editing purposes. I'm not a gamer.

If you produce audio it really all depends on what DAW you use.

I use Adobe Audition and Hindenburg but my point was that I'm looking for a computer powerful enough to edit not just audio but video as well. Video programs and files are much bigger than audio. Davinci won't even open on my current computer.

Video editing takes some horsepower, and I'm not sure if $1000. will get you where you want to be?
top of the line cpu, good video card (doesn't have to be the greatest) and a good amount of hard drive space, plus a good motherboard to support faster rendering of your video

Last edited:
My dad does video editing for our church and that just eats up your harddrive space so I would recommend 2-4tb of storage.
As for your budget $1000 is not going to get you anywhere I would say you need at least an i7 perferably an i9 or higher. for video editing I would put you at around 8-16gb of ram. I will make up a part list on pcpartpicker tonight or tommorrow night.

Here is the list if any of you others know anything about this please make your edits to the list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ptjzRk
Note that this list does not include CPU cooler, case keyboard,mouse or any thing like that as that is hay16's preference.
This rig will probably run video editing very smoothly
Also for those who did not know: there is a 500gb SDD and a 2TB spinner the ssd is for your OS and the spinner is for the files.

Windows ten pro has a lot less bloatware but that list may be more in his price range. And thank you for tossing in 16gb of RAM when I first looked at it I thought you put 4gb of RAM and I almost had a fit

All I hear is this goes over his budget and it is driving me crazy! I think he should extend his budget to around 1500. I would definitely Extend my budget because you will be more happy wih the i9
One more thing: Video editing will run better on an intel cpu (just throwin' that out there :)

Back
Top Bottom