Losing disk space every day ~ SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

_SomeOne_

In Runtime
First off windows took around 35gb when i done a clean install on my SSD

Iv been losing disk space every day for the past 2months.
With IE and Adobe After Effects only installed on the SSD i had around 10GB free space and after 2 months im down to 3.6GB
If i select every thing in the SSD it only shows 28.5GB being used

Iv used C Cleaner which said it gave me back 1.1GB but when i checked it only gave me back around 100MB

Do you guys have any idea why im losing disk space or how to free up some diskspace?

~Thanks

Just checked again and i missed some things.

Iv got my Graphics card software on it, quicktime, nortons internet security, windows live and logitech mouse/keyboard software

since iv posted this thread iv lost 0.01gb

Shadow Copies, temporary files, and application data. I recently noticed a program on my computer that I use for downloading make TWO of every files, one was a "temp" file, the other was where I had the destination, the software wouldn't remove the temp files. Use something like Disk Explorer that can show you WHERE your largest files are, or what folders are taking up the most space.

Shadow Copies, temporary files, and application data. I recently noticed a program on my computer that I use for downloading make TWO of every files, one was a "temp" file, the other was where I had the destination, the software wouldn't remove the temp files. Use something like Disk Explorer that can show you WHERE your largest files are, or what folders are taking up the most space.

I done a quick search for "Disk Explorer" but there i quite a few.. i downloaded Runtime Disk Explorer.. and uninstalled it right away since it looked way too confusing to use. I didnt want to touch anything on it incase i ruined something.

What Disk Explorer do you recommend?

thanks

I use FolderSizes 5.0, after installed, skip the wizard, and open up your SSD drive, it will mark folders/files in RED that are rather large, skip important files, but look under the Users directory. Also, what size IS your SSD, and what OS are you using?

The software is really useless in the end, you use it like you would windows explorer, but it does help you find random files that are abnormally large.

SSD: 60GB but it only lets me use 55.6GB of it

When i enter the SSD with FolderSizes 5.0 i see two files that are really.. really big.
One is named "pagefiles.sys" 15.9GB and it was last modified today
The other one is named "hiberfil.sys" 11.9GB and was also last modified today

There is also> Recovery>bd0aad35-6c3a-11e0-9584-be0162065f49> "winre.wim" 160mb and "boot.sdi" 3.02mb

Also> Windows>Installer> then there are lots of files and folders. total of the installer folder is 1.11GB ~~~ I saw some where that you can delete that or something. I didnt read too much into it because at the end it said "Use at your own risk".. i dont want to take any risks since 2months of work isnt backed up and it took me a long time to setup this SSD.

Can i do anything to those files?.. like delete any of them.. or do they look unusually big?

btw everything else looks fine.

Alright.. iv looked up the pagefiles.sys file and they say that its virtual ram and its as big as my physical ram.. which is 16GB.. so that sounds right.
Iv also read that i can set the pagefile to lets say 256mb to 512mb ~ How would i do that?

As for the "hiberfil.sys".. that is gone now. It was just a file for when putting your PC into Hibernate mode.. all i had to do was disable Hibernate mode and the file was gone. I followed this tut:
What is hiberfil.sys and How Do I Delete It? - How-To Geek

So.. now im up to 15.5GB *yay* =P
Any chance you know what i can do with the pagefiles.sys (virtual ram) ?

EDIT:
Found this;
http://windows7themes.net/how-to-delete-pagefile-sys-in-windows-7.html
This is what they say:
the more physical RAM you have, the more virtual memory you should have. As a rule of thumb, you should always have 1.5 times more virtual memory than physical RAM, recommended is 2 times more.

So.. do you think i should lower the amount of virtual ram i have at the moment?

EDIT2:
When i go into the settings of the Virtual Memory.. it says;
Total paging file size for all drivers
Minimum allowed: 16mb
Recommended: 24540mb
Currently allocated: 16360mb

Im no super techie.. but i think i should leave it at 16360mb right?

ALSO.. even though iv disabled the hibernate mode.. I still dont know why im losing dick space every day..
Could it be windows 7 updates? Although... it does still go down even if im not updating windows.. or could that be a combination of both internet files and windows 7 updates?

Honestly, if you have 16GB of PHYSICAL memory, I would set your pagefile to 1GB and leave it, some programs require a page file, but not many, and they will rarely use a lot of the page file. I know at one time, back in the old days we would disable it entirely if we had enough RAM, just for performance reasons. But yea, just set the maximum to 1024 and your OK. Make sure you restart your PC, it may be slow the first time due to the pagefile size change. Also, turn off and disable hibernation.

Also, you will loose disk space every day due to programs temp files, internet browsing/cache and so on.

Alright.. iv set it to initial size: 1gb & maximum size: 2gb
I have 30.5gb free now.. **** that feels good =)

btw.. im checking my HDD and i see that it has no pagefile.sys.. so does that mean every program i run that is on my HHD doesnt use any virtual ram at all?

~Time to move some programs to my SSD =)

Thanks!!!!

well my free space on D: drive is filling up fast too. but it may be the page file problem dont know for sure. i have posted abt my problem in another thread just now. any ideas please post there. thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom