Lorry pushing car along the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes but truck sounds more manly and stuff lorry sound like you are getting a woman to haul your goods. it sounds so sexist!

the word truck sounds unisex and of an object. lorry sounds like a woman. this is mean

Woman... pushy.... mean. Yeah, it makes sense why they say "lorry" now. :p

Not in the USA it's not. :p Seriously, I have never heard lorry used except in the context of other countries. Normal usage, at least around here, would be "18 wheelers", "tractor trailers", and "semis".

Its the british english word, so places like Aus, China/hong kong, japan, India, and alot of other British settled countries.. Though they would also have their native language word.

See lorry only means big tractor truck, where as we use truck to also mean anything not a car.

yes but truck sounds more manly and stuff lorry sound like you are getting a woman to haul your goods. it sounds so sexist!

the word truck sounds unisex and of an object. lorry sounds like a woman. this is mean

In the UK we would call this a truck:

truck.JPG

or this:

ford_truck-13340.jpg

We call these lorrys, artics, articulated lorrys or wagons:

Lorry%20leaves%20Tunnel%20T.jpg

So the fact that you think the word lorry sounds girlish seems quite strange, if it's really that imprtant to make the name of a vehicule sound masculine then why don'tyou call 'trucks', bad arse killing machines that you dont want to **** with?

And for the record if something feminine isn't macho then why are warships and submarines all refered to as feminine?

I agree with Paton you need to get out more and if you don't like the lingo then speak French or Spanish then?

"What you found when you pulled into the hard shoulder must have come as a complete shock and I think what you did, in reversing your tanker to release the Clio, was of huge credit to you.

"You showed, in my view, coolness and a clear head. I feel it is entirely inappropriate for me to take away your licence."
one word... wow... I mean really, what else was he going to do? clear cut case of gvmt's protecting their assets...

^ya i did not get that part either... what did she expect him to not back up his truck and leave the person trapped in their car?

Smitty said:
And for the record if something feminine isn't macho then why are warships and submarines all refered to as feminine?
Not by the Russians. All vehicles are referred to as masculine by them. The US refers to all vehicles as feminine, be it cars, trucks, tanks, planes, or ships.

We use "truck" as a generic term for any vehicle with a bed or that hauls a trailer. this would also include dump trucks and cement mixers. This works just like how we use "car" for any non-truck vehicle with four wheels.

See, sometimes geography plays a huge role in how things are understood. When I say biscuit, those in the UK think I am talking about cookies, but I am really talking about something like this:

doublesausage.jpg

sides_biscuits.jpg

09-04-2007.NH_04biscuits.GLI27HRH0.1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom