Looking to upgrade my Hard drive

Some people can't have their cake and eat it too. SSDs are cheap sure, but some can either have space or speed. Most tend to go for the latter.

I don't think they're cheap if you need storage. 2Tb SSD's, for instance, are usually at least £500 whereas you can get a 2TB HDD for under £50.

How much storage do you need OP? Have you considered a hybrid drive? There, you have the best of both worlds, in terms of cost and speed. The most frequently accessed files are automatically stored on the SSD whereas the less are stored on the HDD portion. In other words, the SSD acts as a cache for the HDD.

Last edited:
I don't think they're cheap if you need storage. 2Tb SSD's, for instance, are usually at least £500 whereas you can get a 2TB HDD for under £50.

How much storage do you need OP? Have you considered a hybrid drive? There, you have the best of both worlds, in terms of cost and speed. The most frequently accessed files are automatically stored on the SSD whereas the less are stored on the HDD portion. In other words, the SSD acts as a cache for the HDD.
That was the point I made. Some people can't have an SSD and a HDD because they can't immediately afford it. If your drive dies on you and you got 50 bucks in your pocket you get what you can afford.

OP mentioned the 2TB Firecuda, which is an SSHD. They're not worth the cost honestly. An 8GB cache isn't going to be efficient in the form of large program load times. It helps to an extent for OS and browser, but not nearly as good as say Superfetch.

Edit: I should also mention OP hasn't been back since his initial post to answer any questions so I think it's a moot subject at this point.

Last edited:
That was the point I made. Some people can't have an SSD and a HDD because they can't immediately afford it. If your drive dies on you and you got 50 bucks in your pocket you get what you can afford.

OP mentioned the 2TB Firecuda, which is an SSHD. They're not worth the cost honestly. An 8GB cache isn't going to be efficient in the form of large program load times. It helps to an extent for OS and browser, but not nearly as good as say Superfetch.

Edit: I should also mention OP hasn't been back since his initial post to answer any questions so I think it's a moot subject at this point.

As mentioned in the other thread, boot times and application launches are still slow on the HDD on the computers running windows 10. SsD's make a difference. This is because from one of the links it seems not everything is written to RAM, some is written to page file. With a HDD, this takes a while to retrieve.

As mentioned in the other thread, boot times and application launches are still slow on the HDD on the computers running windows 10. SsD's make a difference. This is because from one of the links it seems not everything is written to RAM, some is written to page file. With a HDD, this takes a while to retrieve.
Obviously, but that's still not really the point here.

Back
Top Bottom