Looking to upgrade my CPU

XGC Forsakend

Student & Lover of Games
Hey everyone.

I am hoping to see some deals on CPU's this coming greed fest (black Friday) and possibly taking advantage. My current specs are as follows:

i-5 3570k
GTX 970 SC 2.0 ACX
Patriot Viper 8 GB Ram (2x4; 16 GB Total)
ASRock z75 Pro3 LGA 1155
CORSAIR tx650 650w

Everything but the GPU was purchased late 2012 if I recall correctly. Despite CPU not playing a big a role as a GPU, I was surprised to find that BF1 requires a i5-6600k as a minimum requirement. Still plays but I do get hiccups and takes much longer to load.

Currently have my eyes on the i7 6700 and going to check to see if I can spot a deal. My question would be if I need to change my motherboard or if you guys have a better suggestion for a CPU.

Intel Core i7-6700 8M Skylake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I76700 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com

Thanks for any input.

BF1 should play on that just fine.

I'm running a i5-4690k + 970 on all Ultra settings without issues.

I have heard Origin In-Game can give stuttering issues; would try disabling that.

If you don't have an SSD then I'd suggest getting one instead of a platform upgrade. It also doesn't require an i5 6600k at all to play as it's not that much more demanding than BF4 is.

To bump your CPU you'll need a new processor, motherboard, and RAM. For that cost you could get a new GPU and SSD lol.

BF1 should play on that just fine.

I'm running a i5-4690k + 970 on all Ultra settings without issues.

I have heard Origin In-Game can give stuttering issues; would try disabling that.
Yea the Origin overlay is horrid. Opening it tends to cause the vehicle turret/aiming bug which hinders mobility. Only way to fix it aside from restarting the game is Alt-Tab.

I won't disable it though since I need it to be able to join parties unless you know of a different way to join one in-game.

If you don't have an SSD then I'd suggest getting one instead of a platform upgrade. It also doesn't require an i5 6600k at all to play as it's not that much more demanding than BF4 is.

To bump your CPU you'll need a new processor, motherboard, and RAM. For that cost you could get a new GPU and SSD lol.

I do have an SSD already though I only have the OS running on it. Everything else is in HDD's including games. I am aware I can still stick with the 3570k as I am able to play, but was also considering the future. I do plan on upgrading whenever the next generation of GPU's release as the 970 is still fairly new

But maybe I'll stick with the CPU for a while longer.

Thanks for the input :)

I do have an SSD already though I only have the OS running on it. Everything else is in HDD's including games. I am aware I can still stick with the 3570k as I am able to play, but was also considering the future. I do plan on upgrading whenever the next generation of GPU's release as the 970 is still fairly new

But maybe I'll stick with the CPU for a while longer.

Thanks for the input :)

I run two SSDs: one for OS, one for games.

Yea the Origin overlay is horrid. Opening it tends to cause the vehicle turret/aiming bug which hinders mobility. Only way to fix it aside from restarting the game is Alt-Tab.

I won't disable it though since I need it to be able to join parties unless you know of a different way to join one in-game.
Alt+tab or if you have multiple monitors, run in borderless window mode and have Origin up on the other monitor. Then you can just Winkey and mouse over to Origin.

I thought you could join parties from the sidebar menu on the main menu in BF1 though, too? I know you can invite from there.

You don't need Origin in game to do anything in BF1, at least from my experience in the beta. I joined my friend and he joined me several times from within the game and I always disable that in game BS.

In terms of years the 970 is fairly new, but in terms of performance it's already aged lol.

I run two SSDs: one for OS, one for games.
I may do that in the future. May be my next investment then.

Alt+tab or if you have multiple monitors, run in borderless window mode and have Origin up on the other monitor. Then you can just Winkey and mouse over to Origin.

I thought you could join parties from the sidebar menu on the main menu in BF1 though, too? I know you can invite from there.
No, buddy and I tried. We send an invite and he was only able to join via the overlay and it then told him to re-enable it to join. I haven't tried personally as I am the one inviting him in all the time.

You don't need Origin in game to do anything in BF1, at least from my experience in the beta. I joined my friend and he joined me several times from within the game and I always disable that in game BS.

In terms of years the 970 is fairly new, but in terms of performance it's already aged lol.

Yea, agreed on the 970's performance. Was a mouse click away on buying the 1080 a couple months back, but decided to wait till the next generation of cards.

You'll be waiting until this time next year. 1080ti hasn't even dropped yet, and the next batch I believe will just be a rehash until Volta is ready.

Back
Top Bottom