Looking to set up a high-end media room / media center

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonblade

Solid State Member
Ok, I've paid my local stores a visit and they just aren't getting my questions answered.

Here's my goal for the completed system:
Have a full surround sound system that is hooked up to my newest rig I'm building, satellite TV, video phone (down the road), phone system, ... Let's stop right there... Basically, I want this system to be able to do it all, and by all, I mean if I named it, it could be added.

All this hooked up to a projection system.

Ok here's the thing... This guy at the audio store said I couldn't hook a computer up to this system and would need a full blown audio and video system.

Ok, so I come to you guys to tell me first off fact from fiction and two all the equipment I would need to buy to have a such system. Money is no object, because I really don't care if it takes me years to get all the equipment.

you make a media server computer. if you can get linux mce to work it then that is the best route. otherwise windows 7 is your next best option. I have this setup except I'm using hdtv's

Thank you for the reply Eric.

What kind of equipment am I looking at needing to buy, or do you recommend to buy to get me started and go from there?

After looking at my options, I thought about just going with just internet and a cell phone. So, lets see here, so now all I need is a sound system, video system, and the computer.

The computer I have handled, now I just need to know about the other stuff.

well I give you some of the computer stuff anyway. try to get a video card with hdmi, get a good sound card and tv tuner. get a good hdtv or project along with good speaker. I like paradigms personally. then get a good receiver or pre amp, amp combs. you should be good to go

If you want home theater, get some Von Schweikerts

:tongue:

I would happily go on my annual holiday to Germany to listen to some of them.

But to the OP, you need a very good PC - with all this media and stuff on, it'd be good to have 4gb or more of ram, quad core, and the faster the hard drive the better. Then you'll need an a good power amp, i have heard this before at a local home theatre shop and it really was very good, it was tested to more than 500wpc aswell which is it's offical rating. Hifi Gear ~ ~ Rotel RMB-1575 5 channel power amplifier I can't really reccomend you speakers, well i can, but it's so subjective and people have totally different preferences. You are best off just ignoring the price and speaker brand and just listen to some until you find the ones you like the sound of, after all this system is for you.

To really help we do need some sort of budget, because if you really are saying no budget, it wouldn't be too hard to spend over $200,000 on such a system.

Ok, so this is what happens when you let a thread go for a few days...

After much thought it'll just take time to really perfect the system, so I thank all of you much for all the help, but due to money issues, and ect. Right now, I'm just going to focus on building my new computer, and then when I have my own place to live and when the funds are there, start working on my home theater.

Again thanks for all the help, it has really helped get my shopping list in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom