Looking to replace my mainboard/motherboard

IbexDeath

Baseband Member
I can barely find any information on mine, its so old. Its a Gigabyte GA-7VAX.

Anyways, is changing out a motherboard complicated, and how do I figure out which is compatible with my current rig?

IbexDeath said:
I can barely find any information on mine, its so old. Its a Gigabyte GA-7VAX.

Anyways, is changing out a motherboard complicated, and how do I figure out which is compatible with my current rig?

changing out a motherboard isn't technically hard, but you have to disconnect everything, which includes cleaning off old and reapplying new thermal paste and reseating your cpu, heatsink and fan...

it's good to download a manual and go over it a little bit beforehand, and make sure all the jumpers on the motherboard are set correctly...

my upgrade was a breeze (aside from a brief moment of stupidity on my part)...

Alright, what would I have to change about my computer to be able to fit a much nicer mobo in there?

wood_workur said:
well, it is socket A, and it take ddr400 ram, has a 333/266/200 MHz FSB, and has an agp slot. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813185074 is the only board that would work.

the process isn't that hard. It is a matter of removing some screws, and being careful.

what makes you want to get a new mobo anyways?
The one I have is very old and I get the feeling that my options to upgrade various components will increase in number once I have a better mainboard.

Make sure it will fit in your case? And make sure its compatible with your componants :p

Back
Top Bottom