Looking to pick up a laptop school/light gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspire

The Water Cooling Guru
Like the title says I'm picking up a laptop for some light gaming and to use while I'm at school. Namely because my house is 3 miles away and uphill and I'd rather not have to bum around the school computer labs on the days when I have time between classes.

Anyways, my max budget is about a grand and I'm about 90% sure on the laptop I want to get.

Here a link to it with specs:

Lenovo - Customize - Lenovo IdeaPad Y510 - 77582EU - Services and software

Quick Summary of what it's got:

1.86ghz C2D
256mb 8600m GTS
250gb hdd
2gb mem
6 cell battery
15.4" glossy lcd
Dolby 4.1 audio with micro woofer

So it works out to be about $950 after tax and such.

So, thoughts, suggestions, whatever, anyone?

Sounds good to me, that's a pretty good deal for a 250GB, 8600M GT/GS (don't think there is a 8600M GTS, there's an 8600M GS and an 8600M GT, which one is it?). I'd say it's a good deal.

Well, the laptop specs do list a 8600m GTS, though I do understand what you mean when you say it doesn't exist. I think it just is a slightly overclocked GT.

That's odd, because here's nVidia's specs page for the 8600M series, they only list a GS and a GT model:
GeForce 8600M - Notebook and Laptop

I have the 8600M GS (slower one) in my laptop and it's good enough to play Source games at 1680x1050 at a great FPS rate, so I'm sure it'd run even faster on a smaller monitor (and you have the GT version so it'd be even faster).

did you check HOT DEALS STRAIGHT FROM THE DESK OF CARL FLORINTINO! stupid tiger direct..

but lenovo's are solid. for 950 go for it.

Yeah I was looking at that laptop but after tax and shipping and recycling fee it wound up being closer to 1100 and I just ordered the lenovo for 950 shipped.

Yeah the gfx card is a little less powerful but I didn't buy it to be a gaming machine. lus I liked the looks on the lenovo more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom