Looking to go Dolby Surround Sound 7.1, but confused

Ludichris1

Baseband Member
Ok, so I'm planning on buying a headset. Either this: Plantronics 79733-11 GameCom 777 Gaming Headset - With Dolby 7.1, Surround Sound at TigerDirect.com
Or this: Newegg.com - RAZER ORCA 3.5mm Circumaural Headphone
The first headset says it has 7.1, the other doesn't say it has (so it doesn't). Hmm... my computer has this integrated sound card: Compaq Presario CQ5210Y Desktop PC Product Specifications Compaq Presario CQ5210Y Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English). After looking at the back of my computer, I only see three soundcard connections, and next to the sound card slot is a hefty powersupply so I think there is no room for a large soundcard. Anyway, I also heard about the Earforce DSS: Amazon.com: Ear Force DSS 7.1 Channel Dolby Surround Sound Processor: Video Games
Of what I know, my current soundcard doesn't have Dolby 7.1 capabilities. Then I saw that first headset. Does that headset mean it 'has' the capability to be USED by a Dolby 7.1 card, or that it has 7.1 in it somehow, and that I can use my normal NON 7.1 card? OR do I need a new 7.1 sound card that can somehow fit in my computer for either headset?

OR what about the Earforce DSS? Is that an external soundcard with 7.1 capabilities, so that even if I have a NON 7.1 card, this sound processor will act as one, so that I'd just need a normal stereo OR 7.1 headset?

Also, something strange I noticed, is that, where does the first headset connect to? The USB passthru thing they said is on the DSS, I don't think that's for the first headset's mic and sound wires to connect to a square usb device then connect to the computer, but I'm not sure. And according to what they said, there's a headset input jack, but where does the mic connect to? I also don't know if my computer's soundcard comes with an optical port or whatever that is, and it says the DSS needs it, so they also sell a thing that connects to usb. I know this all sounds confusing, but believe me it's just as confusing to me >.<

EDIT: Also, I mean do I reaaaaally need Dolby Surround Sound 7.1? I only intend to use it with headphone/headset. I love music, and I also love motivating and clear sound in games. I want it to improve my experience, but forking over 200 dollars for that or whatever is >.<. Right now I'm using a default soundcard and a 5 dollar headset. Um yeah... I noticed some buzzing in right ear, and always when volume is too high. is it my soundcard or the headset? I also noticed my speakers aren't akin to high sound either, but that's probably because it's not meant for to be turned up to the highest sound possible.

Surround sound headphones are a gimmick. Get yourself a good set of stereo cans and if you still want to try surround, get a soundcard/receiver that's capable of it. It'll sound better than any surround headset you'll find.

Look into brands like Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic, Denon, Sennheiser, etc.

How much do you have to spend?

Surround sound headphones are a gimmick. Get yourself a good set of stereo cans and if you still want to try surround, get a soundcard/receiver that's capable of it. It'll sound better than any surround headset you'll find.

Look into brands like Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic, Denon, Sennheiser, etc.

How much do you have to spend?

Well looking forward to spend no more than 150 for the headphones/headset and other sound stuff combined. I know the speakers are preferably better, but, I live in a family house, so I can't get big and loud speakers anyways. I'm also almost always listening through my headset, and prefer it that way. The sound sounds really close and audible. The problem I was thinking though, is that headsets usually aren't superb at both sound and microphone, so maybe I should get that Razor headphone with a 50 dollar vocal microphone on a stand xD I also plan on voice recordings so... but then that headphone thing isn't dolby 7.1 argh. And I want real good sound

If you want the real deal, forget about Razer, Steelseries, Logitech, or anything else with a "gaming" label on them.

Get good cans and a Zalman clip-on mic. I use them on my Beyer DT 880s and the combo works fine. With your budget some of the common ones you're probably going to be looking at the Audio Technica M50, A700, AD700, Sennheiser HD555, and Sony MDR-V6. A couple of these might push your budget a bit.

Check out head-fi.org. Tons of headphone info there.

If you want the real deal, forget about Razer, Steelseries, Logitech, or anything else with a "gaming" label on them.

Get good cans and a Zalman clip-on mic. I use them on my Beyer DT 880s and the combo works fine. With your budget some of the common ones you're probably going to be looking at the Audio Technica M50, A700, AD700, Sennheiser HD555, and Sony MDR-V6. A couple of these might push your budget a bit.

Check out head-fi.org. Tons of headphone info there.

Thanks so much! I don't know how good that mic is, but for gaming purposes, it seems pretty good for ten dollars! I'll be sure to get that. Also, nice headphones you got there :eek: they look pretty good.

I've been thinking between which ones I should get, and I've narrowed it down to the 65 dollar Amazon.com: Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil: Electronics and the 110 dollar Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD555 Professional Headphones with Sound Channeling: Electronics that you recommended. I'm not sure which one to get, other than price ;). Can you tell me which one you think is better and why? I'm looking for AS LOUD AS IT CAN GET (because mine can get loud, but sometimes not loud enough lol), while not getting buzzy (or eventually breaking because of that)-- and also make sure it has good bass, cuz then that would practically be like Dolby Surround. Crystal clarity is good too. Keep price in mind as well :p Thanks for the help

Also, are there any extra equipment I need to get these working? Are they Dolby Surround? Well, now, I don't care 'as' much as before if they have it, as long as it sounds real good :)

And last thing, I think, if I did get the 65 dollar one, I'd then be able to get a vocal microphone for recording. I didn't do much research, but I did find this one interesting:
Shure SM48-LC Vocal Microphone: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend with Musician's Gear Low Profile Die-Cast Mic Stand: Shop Accessories & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend
Like I said, thanks a lot for the replies! :D

Thanks so much! I don't know how good that mic is, but for gaming purposes, it seems pretty good for ten dollars! I'll be sure to get that. Also, nice headphones you got there :eek: they look pretty good.

I've been thinking between which ones I should get, and I've narrowed it down to the 65 dollar Amazon.com: Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil: Electronics and the 110 dollar Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD555 Professional Headphones with Sound Channeling: Electronics that you recommended. I'm not sure which one to get, other than price ;). Can you tell me which one you think is better and why? I'm looking for AS LOUD AS IT CAN GET (because mine can get loud, but sometimes not loud enough lol), while not getting buzzy (or eventually breaking because of that)-- and also make sure it has good bass, cuz then that would practically be like Dolby Surround. Crystal clarity is good too. Keep price in mind as well :p Thanks for the help

Also, are there any extra equipment I need to get these working? Are they Dolby Surround? Well, now, I don't care 'as' much as before if they have it, as long as it sounds real good :)

And last thing, I think, if I did get the 65 dollar one, I'd then be able to get a vocal microphone for recording. I didn't do much research, but I did find this one interesting:
Shure SM48-LC Vocal Microphone: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend with Musician's Gear Low Profile Die-Cast Mic Stand: Shop Accessories & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend
Like I said, thanks a lot for the replies! :D

Sony MDR-V6s are great budget headphones and were how a lot of people entered the world of high-end headphones. As far as loudness goes, I'm not sure really. I don't push my headphones that far :D

Since you want bass, the 555s may not be for you. Same goes for the A700 and AD700. The MRD-V6 is said to have more bass than the 555s.

No stereo headphones have Dolby Surround. It's software mixing, so you have to have a source that's capable of it (receiver, internal/external soundcard).

I'm not sure about those mics, but it seems like it would be really inconvenient at a computer desk. My mic runs along my cable and goes completely unnoticed and I've never had anyone say I'm too quiet.

Back
Top Bottom