Looking to Build

kraig9

Beta member
Hello!
My name is Kraig. I am a 16 year old Junior. I am trying to build a gaming rig that's fit for a low to mid budget. The parts would probably be collected during Christmas and over the span of the 2013 year. I am mainly looking for the experience of putting a computer together and learning it's parts and what all they do, not necessarily to build the most tenacious computer there is. Currently I'm looking for the parts, so feel free to add tips or parts that I should get. I'm mainly buying off of Amazon.com.

Case: NZXT Guardian Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Case 921RB-BL
(Feel free to tell me I'm mentally retarted and suggest a different case)

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K
(I may go lower on this one, due to the price)

Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series Division 2 Edition DDR3 8 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 Memory Modules PGD38G1600ELK
(Might go higher on this one, my budget MAY allow it)

GPU: This is one aspect I need help on. I really want to nail this one on the head, and I'm willing to pay more or subtract from other parts in order to make this one extremely good.

Sound Card: ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR_DG
(May just scrap the sound card; motherboard sound may be just fine)

HDD: WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA III, 32 MB Cache - WD10EALX

Power Supply: I have no idea. None. Whatsoever.

Monitor: May use a monitor I currently have... My family has some pretty good monitors, one's bigger than a 30 inch tv! And Response rate is aight.

Misc: Thinking about a SSD, and maybe multiple GPUs (I love GPUs :D) The only restriction is budget, but once again I will be getting these parts in small increments and will be expecting much error in assembly.

Well, if you've made it through all of this, thank you for hearing my mouthful (lol). Any criticism or editing or trimming of parts for price and/or performance will be greatly apreciated. Thanks alot!

Well, that's all I have to say about that. -Forrest Gump

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 AM ----------

Btw Please do not tell me to look at the stickied "new build guide" After I just wrote something longer than my English Exam paper =( Also I'm looking for cheap but not crappy custom parts... I'm willing to work in stuff from the new build guide I suppose...

Hi kraig9 ... yes scrap the sound card :)

Asus P8Z77-V Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Intel Z77 Chipset, x4 DDR3, x3 PCI-E x16, x2 PCI-E x1, x2 PCI, x4 SATA 6GB/s, x4 SATA 3GB/s, x1 Gigabit LAN, x6 USB 3.0, x10 USB 2.0, 7.1 HD Audio, WiFi, SLI & Xfire Support

Hi kraig9 ... yes scrap the sound card :)

Asus P8Z77-V Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Intel Z77 Chipset, x4 DDR3, x3 PCI-E x16, x2 PCI-E x1, x2 PCI, x4 SATA 6GB/s, x4 SATA 3GB/s, x1 Gigabit LAN, x6 USB 3.0, x10 USB 2.0, 7.1 HD Audio, WiFi, SLI & Xfire Support

Sorry was in a hurry earlier ...

Keep the i5 (worth it), GPU (as I like ATI/AMD) go as high as you can afford one good GPU will play all the games you may get. again if you can afford go SSDs, OS (Win 7 x64bit for gaming) on one and every thing else on the others, PSU (Branded around 700w) just my opinion babes !.

Last edited:
Sorry was in a hurry earlier ...

Keep the i5 (worth it), GPU (as I like ATI/AMD) go as high as you can afford one good GPU will play all the games you may get. again if you can afford go SSDs, OS (Win 7 x64bit for gaming) on one and every thing else on the others, PSU (Branded around 700w) just my opinion babes !.

Ok, thanks! Do you know if the case is a fitting one? Or does it need more stuff?

P.S. Nice avatar picture

Last edited:
Hey Kraig I'm actually the same exact way as you as far as the whole build situation. I was told a gtx 650 ti gpu would be fairly good in gaming assuming that's your goal. That's like a minimum however. I'm not sure your budget but they're priced at 150$ each. There are plenty of tech sites with great in depth reviews of all the GPUs available. Expect to pay a bit for the GPU. I was also pointed towards a store called micro center for my processor because they sell their i5 at a loss of profit so the product is cheaper. They sell an i5-3470 for 150$ oppose to the usual 190$. Again it's all in the amount you have to spend on the build.

Hey Kraig I'm actually the same exact way as you as far as the whole build situation. I was told a gtx 650 ti gpu would be fairly good in gaming assuming that's your goal. That's like a minimum however. I'm not sure your budget but they're priced at 150$ each. There are plenty of tech sites with great in depth reviews of all the GPUs available. Expect to pay a bit for the GPU. I was also pointed towards a store called micro center for my processor because they sell their i5 at a loss of profit so the product is cheaper. They sell an i5-3470 for 150$ oppose to the usual 190$. Again it's all in the amount you have to spend on the build.

Sorry forgot to mention for the micro center processor you have to have access to as store as the part cannot be ordered online.

Back
Top Bottom