Looking for a monitor that has amazing quality and works well with my Graphics Card

thaull

Baseband Member
I'm clueless about monitors, and right now I have a 19'' 1440x900 LCD monitor that I've had for 2 years now. A year ago, I upgraded my computer and I'm now able to run games on the max settings. The only thing that feels out of place is my monitor. I want to see more of the games I play, and my monitor feels a little small. I want a monitor to work well with my GTX 260 and AMD Athlon 7750 2.7GHz Dual Core Processor and not have to lower my graphics settings just in case it's too much. I'm also using Windows 7 Ultimate. I heard someone say that higher resolutions can take up more power from your computer. I hope this won't force me to lowers the graphics of games.

I'm looking for a good gaming monitor with low ms that's bigger than mine, but I don't want to turn my head a lot while playing. Right now I play with the screen about 5-7 feet away from me and I can basically see the entire screen from this distance with only slight eye movements to see the edges. I've seen this monitor on Newegg, but it looks too cheap for a 27" monitor with 1920x1080 and 2 ms response time. Has anyone had good or bad memories if you ever purchased this monitor or know someone that has?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254048

Is it a good monitor, and will my computer setup be able to support the higher resolution and play on max setting?

The games I'm interested in are

Tera Online
Bad Company 2
Crysis

Not sure if I can run them all on highest settings with my current setup since I never played them, but I have no idea how to compare the system requirements to mine. Not sure if upgrading my monitor size would make it worse. I'm able to run games on max settings now that were released recently or this year.

Right now my budget is around $250

Thank you.

I don't know what hanns-g are like really, they're budget monitors. In college we have professional workstation and gaming setups because of what I'm studying and they use budget monitors. You can really tell the the difference between a cheaper one and monitor you've payed good money for. Brighter, more vibrant colours etc.

This is alot better and has a good contrast: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001431

OR you could look into setting your computer up with a HDTV and your GPU will handle full 1080 no problem, that resolution even outputs on old video cards.

Oh and going from 1440x900 to 1920x1080 will cause a significant drop in frame rate, you'll need to turn your AA right down or even off completely and maybe put shadows down slightly.

I was liking the reviews on that monitor, and it looked like it was on a sale before that lowered the price to $260. Sadly right now it's little over $50 over my budget of $250.

There are so many monitors out there at 1920x1080 that it's so hard to find a good one and all the ones I find have bad reviews or way too expensive. Can't find a good balance. I might be kidding myself that a monitor at that price could be good, but hopefully I can gaming monitor one on sale.

Edit: How do these 2 look?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112019
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176160R

Is there something I should compare to other monitors that shows me that it's a good choice over others?

Do yourself a favor right now.

Stop looking at 27" monitors for $250. The quality and pricepoint just aren't there yet.

There's nothing wrong with going with a very good 22 or 24" monitor instead.

I'd recommend any of the high rated Acer 24"s on Newegg. You won't be disappointed.

This one is $249 right now, and is a stellar monitor. A coworker has one of these and he raves about it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009206

This is the monitor I have. Im building a rig to play Bad company, Crysis (and soon crysis 2 :)) and other high quality games. I highly recommend this monitor.
Link here

I was going to edit my post before you posted to remove the 27" ones. After researching when I posted, someone said that 27" monitors with 1920x1080 resolution might make things look stretched and colors look a little off. I don't want to risk something like that. He also said that 23-25" looked the best with that res.

I've also been reading that games look stretched on 1920x1080 and look better on 1920x1200. This is killing me! Is there a site that rates monitors for best visuals and performance for games by resolution or in general?

I was going to edit my post before you posted to remove the 27" ones. After researching when I posted, someone said that 27" monitors with 1920x1080 resolution might make things look stretched and colors look a little off. I don't want to risk something like that. He also said that 23-25" looked the best with that res.

I thought this also. Everyone that says that has never tried one. This 27 inch Asus is perfect at 1080p. Ive run multiple calibrators, and they havent changed it much at all, since its already perfect. If you get that Asus I posted, you will not regret it. I promise you that. Plus it looks awesome wall mounted.

I've also been reading that games look stretched on 1920x1080 and look better on 1920x1200. This is killing me! Is there a site that rates monitors for best visuals and performance for games by resolution or in general?

1920x1080 is the resolution my 21.5" Acer has.

It would look stretched for definate, thats an extra 4.5" without using more pixels.

I'm thinking that any Samsung monitor will do you just fine. Or any higher end brand will as well, but stop looking at those budget monitors because you will be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom