Looking for a DVD burner

kchi55

Fully Optimized
So yeah, as the title of this thread suggests, I'm currently looking for a DVD Burner for my system (in my sig), which has had the misfortune of using CD RW drive from an old dell dimension for over a year so I decided that it was about time to get a new optical drive.
I haven't been really up to date with anything relating computers lately so could someone tell me what to look out for when I search for this drive? I heard stuff about dual layer and all these 16/18/20x speeds, lightscribe and what not, but i'm not entirely certain as to what they do and how effective they are compared to other features. So if someone could point me in the right direction on this matter that would be much appreciated. Recommendations are welcomed too :D Thanks!

I would get this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827151136
I got it and its good, got all those features you mentioned up above.

I myself dont know what dual-layer is. Is it two sided or 2 layers on one side? I havent had a chance to test lightscribe, but its labels basically. Curently they are only in black in white I think. 18x is just a speed, and I dont know much more than that, lol. Its fast enough, but not the fastest. Most blank dvds come in 16x anyway I think.

celegorm said:
i have this one in my system now and i love it. its not as fast as the one superman gave you, but its dependable. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827135078

Just read a user comment on Newegg for that, and it seems it's built based on the Pioneer 111...all as i can say, is i have a Pioneer 108, Pioneer 109 and 111 in 3 systems repectively, and all have performed great and not stuffed up one burn, if it did fail, it was the blanks fault not the burner.

Matt

I have never used any of the pioneers, but this one is teh same way, it has yet to fail a burn (unless it copy righted). To virtually elimiate all chances of bad blanks get SKY cds/dvds. I use these at work for all my burning, be it CD or DVD and i have yet to see one come bad out of the spindel.

Just to give you an idea on how many disks that is, i burn about 20 disks a week at work, and i've worked about 24 weeks.

celegorm said:
I have never used any of the pioneers, but this one is teh same way, it has yet to fail a burn (unless it copy righted). To virtually elimiate all chances of bad blanks get SKY cds/dvds. I use these at work for all my burning, be it CD or DVD and i have yet to see one come bad out of the spindel.

Just to give you an idea on how many disks that is, i burn about 20 disks a week at work, and i've worked about 24 weeks.

Hmmm SKY, ill have to have a look, not sure if we can get them in Australia. I use either Maxdata or Ritek, both have proved good for me DVD wise, i use whatever i find on CD's and i can get a few bad burns

Matt

yes, if you can get them i would. they are a little more expensive (about 5 cents american more per disk) than normal brands, but its sooo worth it.

Back
Top Bottom