Looking for a consolidated data storage/back-up/access solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well for the record I have an 8TB RAID 10 configured on that system now and it has no issue streaming about 5 different streams simultaneously including a 1080P one...

However if you're trying to transcode on the fly that's another story, I have not tested transcoding yet but I will. Definitely agree with your hate of HP SANS though. We had to pick one up as an emergency spare due to it being readily available over the EMCs we usually use and it's been no end of trouble and pretty much will need to be decomissioned once we can rehouse the data.
most home servers people get for streaming videos

if the op needs help with that i can even help him build a flash/html5 video streaming server that will even work on mobile devices!!!

I still think the microserver is a feasible option. I don't have much hope that it would hold up to realtime HD transcoding however I think I should be able to get it to handle a reasonable amount of your average content. Also keep in mind I'd probably be far from the only one with a vast store of AVIs and other content that's readily streamed without transcoding: if you use a device with a decent operating system and power it should be able to handle most media without being transcoded. Neither my phone nor my tablet require transcoding. The TF101 can handle 1080p MKVs via Dice Player.

A buddy of mine set up a Home server that he bought from acer. Alls he has to do is log into a domain already in place from acer. Super simple..

something really neat.

Also J-River (the company that makes media jukebox and j-river media center) made this:
Gizmo - JRiverWiki

and it does media streaming from your server and streams it to your android device.

it does require purchasing j-river media center, which being beyond a universal media player of epicness, also does media streaming. it's 40 bucks but not too bad considering it's the most robust media player ever.

I'd build a RAID-Z file server, or depending on how many drives you want in it, a RAID-Z2
If you go with something like FreeNAS RAID-Z is a great option. Being along the lines of software RAID-5 but without some of the glaring drawbacks. The issues with software RAID-5 are why I chose to go with RAID 10 on my array plus I like the extra simplicity and robustness. Sure it means I lose 50% useable storage...but storage is ridiculously cheap at consumer level these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom