Looking for a camrea around $650ish

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
My dad just bought this: Sony eSupport - NEX-3 - News & Alerts used at best buy for around $300. It says on the box that it can take 1080p videos but it can only do 720p. He want's to return it so that he can get a good DSLR camera that can take good quality photos 12MP-18MP and can also take 1080p videos.

I'm not a photography expert (he knows a lot about photography but hasn't been in the loop for many years) so I don't know what many camera terms and whatnot.

He was looking at this camera as a replacement though: *$649.00 after $100 Instant Savings* Canon T3 12.2MP Digital SLR Double Zoom Lens Kit - Sam's Club

Thanks

All right, so I picked my buddy's brain just a little bit ago. He said there were two cameras off hand that he knew were a bit better and somewhat in that price range. The two would be the Panasonic GH2 (more expensive) and the Sony NEX 5N.

Now, assuming your dad is more comfortable with Sony, the NEX 5N is the way to go, as it is really good with photo and video. In fact, he says the video is so good, that he could use it as a B camera when he isn't using his Panasonic AF100 (which is a stellar video camcorder). Since your dad has been out of the loop for a while, he may find this interesting as well. If he likes to take manual shots, he can buy this adapter and even use old school lenses on it. That way, he can mix a little of the old school with the new! Here is just a sample of some of the lenses he could throw on there. According to my buddy, all of the images still look primo. Plus, the NEX 5N has a bigger sensor; so he may be more interested in that if he is primarily taking stills.

The only upgrade he recommended from that would be the Panasonic GH2 (it's a lot more expensive, though). Main reason why he pointed that one out is because it may have more options, as it's been out a bit longer. Nonetheless, Sony will catch up. Again, there are a lot of modifications with adapters that he can do with this camera as well. However, the NEX 5N is probably still the way to go, in terms of price/value.

As for taking the T3 route, he said to go with the "T3i". It's the upgraded version and apparently handles the video better. It's a bit more expensive, though.

One last thing to consider is that the NEX 5N has a lot of touch screen stuff as an alternative way to toggle the camera controls, whereas the T3i will have more buttons. So the NEX 5N may be a bit confusing for an older fellow, but once mastered, he will achieve some great stuff.

Hope that helps! Let me know what he ends up getting or if he needs anymore help. I can always get a hold of my friend, if need be.​

Thanks for the help, I'll recommend the two cameras and the adapter to him so he can take a look at them.

Micro 4/3rds are good cameras but aren't as good as full SLR cameras as far as video/picture quality while manual settings can rival some lower slr settings. For really good video short of a full video camera the T2i which is a model down from the T3i is a good candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom