Lookin for a network card

Unless you are on an OC-192 connection lol which is not the case, the Gigabit card will not help you on the internet... however.. if you have gigabit network set up at home, you will see a large performance increase, when transfering files from one computer to the other, however that will still be limited by cables, system resources, what type of switch you are running, type of cards, speed of systems doing the transfer etc.. however that still will not increase your speed when downloading from the internet, only on your local network.

gaming_freak said:
well my internet is 5mbs (megabits per second) and thats 100 megabits per second so u do the math lol, ur internet will never use that much so u can get a 100mbs card and it will work fine

No no, its not for internet. Its just like, to file trafere between two computers.

uid=[0] said:
Unless you are on an OC-192 connection lol which is not the case, the Gigabit card will not help you on the internet... however.. if you have gigabit network set up at home, you will see a large performance increase, when transfering files from one computer to the other, however that will still be limited by cables, system resources, what type of switch you are running, type of cards, speed of systems doing the transfer etc.. however that still will not increase your speed when downloading from the internet, only on your local network.

Like I said. File transfer

Oh, then a gigabit card will rule. You will notice so much of a difference.

I think you will have to install them on all the other computers as well though, but yeah that would be ace.

joxley1990 said:
Oh, then a gigabit card will rule. You will notice so much of a difference.

I think you will have to install them on all the other computers as well though, but yeah that would be ace.

Yes you would need them on all computers using it, also you would need a gigabit switch

uid=[0] said:
Yes you would need them on all computers using it, also you would need a gigabit switch

Gigabit switches cost alot, as would all the network cards, are you a millionaire ArrizX?

So then, ill need to get two of them, and install them on both computers? Then I can like max out the trasnfer rate?

So why cant I use the one on my mobo? Oh well, then ill get two of them. Just means im gettin a cheaper card, Lol!

And what is a gigabit switch? I think I know, but im not sure. Its just like a router, right? But its specificly for this? And do you have a link to one?

Arrizx, Unless you have an OC3 connection or higher speed, a gigabit speed on the NIC cards is useless and no, it won't go faster. I tried myself. Nothing much different, perhaps 1-2 kbps faster, but that's it.

Back
Top Bottom