Logitech's New Gaming Peripherals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin Man

muffin enthusiast
Logitech Releases a Smörgåsbord of Gaming Peripherals - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Logitech® Wireless Gaming Headset G930

Starting with the basics, this wireless gaming headset has a range of up to 40 feet (12 metres) and up to 10 hours usage time per 2.5 hour charge (depending on usage). The charging dock is via USB, and can be charged while in use when connected. The ear cups offer up to 26 dB of noise isolation, and give a 20Hz-20kHz frequency response. The audio stream from is an uncompressed 48kHz, and the unidirectional microphone picks up in the 100Hz-75kHz region.

gaming-headset-g930.png

There's no easy way to say this, but these cost $159.99 (£149.00) direct from Logitech. For a lot of people, that's an extraordinary amount of money to spend on a headset. For your money, you get 7.1 surround sound, three programmable G-keys (for music, voice morphing, chat clients), a noise cancelling microphone with a light that glows red when muted, on-ear audio volume controls, and a plug and play setup.

Logitech have attempted to build a wireless headset with comfort and longevity in mind – the memory foam headband, plush ear pads and long battery life are examples of this. However, most of the features listed here, most of us would expect on a decent wireless headset. Creative are one the main competitors in the market, and their wireless headset ranges from $80 - $160.

Proof of this headset being worth the money will undoubtedly be in the pudding, or whether you can hear that enemy sneaking up to you around the corner.

Logitech® Gaming Keyboard G510

Gaming keyboards come in all shapes, sizes, costs, and utilities. The multi-functional Z-board, with its game-specific overlays has had some attention over the years, as well as the Saitek Eclipse range, and Logitech's own G-series keyboards.

The original G15 in the range offered a flip-up black-and-white LCD display, programmable G-buttons, a physical switch to turn the Windows key off, and on-board media controls. The G11 then offered everything the G15 did, without the display. The G15 revision 2 integrated the screen into the keyboard, and reduced the number of G-buttons. The G19 then became an LCD color version of the newer G15, with some other small enhancements.

The G510 then offers a mix of the newer G19 and the original G15, giving a color display and more programmable buttons. Alongside this, the keyboard also offers 3.5mm analog headset jack inputs, converting the signal to USB and sending it down the keyboard USB cable. All the familiar G-series features still remain – media controls, programmable buttons, USB inputs, and color backlighting. The G110 keeps the gauntlet running, as a non-LCD version of the G510.

gaming-keyboard-g510.png

As one of the first G15 adopters when they were first released, I can confirm that it is still going strong, even if it does pick up mountains of dirt and dust, after thousands of hours of high-impact gaming. Back then, I paid £55 ($85) for the US import version. Logitech are selling the G510 from their website for $119.99, or £89. Again, paying $120 for a keyboard can seem excessive, especially when a $10 keyboard will do what a keyboard was originally designed to do. Most users however, and especially gamers, will find use for all the extra features that boards such as the Logitech G-seies offers.

Logitech® Wireless Gaming Mouse G700

A lot about mice in gaming communities is down to personal preference. On many forums, the good old ‘wireless or wired' debate still rages on, with the main argument of input delay or lag against ease of movement. So when Logitech decide to release a wireless mouse, there will a lot of criticism against it, for purely being wireless.

wireless-gaming-mouse-g700.png

Logitech's last G-series wireless mouse, the wireless version of the G7, was loved and loathed by many. For around $90, the wireless G7 was a mouse with two Li-ion batteries that lasted around 7 hours each, a charging dock, a thumb button, DPI switching on the fly, and depending on which version, a carbon-fibre look.

The G700 in will set out back $99.99 (£89), and is available in right-hand mode only. Using a nano sized USB receiver, the G700 will operate between 200 and 5700 DPI, with a USB report rate of up to 1000 per second. By way of low-friction polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) feet, a ‘gaming'-grade lazer and 13 individually sculpted programmable buttons with macro compatibility, Logitech is marketing this mouse as ‘ideal for MMORPGs'.

Charging comes via a quick-connect USB cable (meaning if you run out of battery mid-game, there's no hot-swap) but there's no mention of how long a charge lasts. The onboard LED display lets you know when the battery is about to run out, but personal experience with the G7 suggests that you'll only find out when you bother to look down, after you've just died in-game. The mouse is apparently durable for 250 billion yards of movement, and 8 million clicks of each button.

The wireless Razer Mamba is the main competitive product at this price point.

I would love a fancy keyboard like that, but my desk is far too small to accommodate one :( Not particularly interested in the other two, though - they don't seem especially unique or good.

I actually like the look of the mouse, always thought the G7 was the ugliest mouse... But I'm no sure if I could give up the scroll wheel on my mx revolution, every mouse needs one of them.

The kind of scroll wheel with no clickety-click, or the kind with?

I had a mouse with the smooth, non-clicky kind of scroll wheel, quite liked it. But when I moved onto a mouse with the clicky kind I found I preferred that.

I absolutely love that things are going wireless/high tech. Ive waited a long time for "good" wireless devices to hit the market. Depending on the quality of the headset, every one of those peripherals looks like an exact upgrade for me once i get my paws on a reliable job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom