Local vs. Online

Rakuma

In Runtime
As I read more DIY building threads, blogs, articles, ect..... I've noticed some recommend buying local to avoid the hassle of paying returns and restock fees that you can run into with online companies if you have a bad part? I was wondering what everyone here thinks of the situation? Is it worth paying 20 dollars more for my processor and another 20 more for my MoBo if it saves me that hassle of return shipping it and such? How common are bad parts?

Thoughts?

I believe most companies will allow you to return with no restocking fees if you have a defective product. They will usually ship you out a new one.

If you are buying a processor, buying online will save you a nice chunk. There are not many stores that sell a wide variety of processors like newegg or tigerdirect. Also processors are usually the last thing you would expect to go bad.

Generally things that will arrive DOA are sticks of ram, power supply, hard drives and occasionally motherboards.

Good thing about buying online is that you have reviews for each product. Whereas in the store you don't know if you getting a good deal or quality or not (unless you researached the product).

Personally, I don't know anybody that buys local for computer parts unless they have a micro center in town.

Bad parts will largely be based on quality you buy. Personally I would rather take the risk of buying from Newegg than my Best Buy. God knows how awful the later is.

Acutally, its more of a risk buying from Best Buy than Newegg.

I vote online. Wouldn't even think about local.

Good to know. Yeah I don't know if you have heard of PCdirect they have a wearhouse thats local and now a store front. But they are still significantly more expensive than Newegg. I'll never buy anything of any importance to my computer from best buy. They are the wal-mart of electronics.

actually i believe walmart has better deals than best buy.

lets say best buy is the best buy of electronics

I believe most companies will allow you to return with no restocking fees if you have a defective product. They will usually ship you out a new one.

If you are buying a processor, buying online will save you a nice chunk. There are not many stores that sell a wide variety of processors like newegg or tigerdirect. Also processors are usually the last thing you would expect to go bad.

Generally things that will arrive DOA are sticks of ram, power supply, hard drives and occasionally motherboards.

Good thing about buying online is that you have reviews for each product. Whereas in the store you don't know if you getting a good deal or quality or not (unless you researached the product).

Personally, I don't know anybody that buys local for computer parts unless they have a micro center in town.

Bad parts will largely be based on quality you buy. Personally I would rather take the risk of buying from Newegg than my Best Buy. God knows how awful the later is.

Acutally, its more of a risk buying from Best Buy than Newegg.

I vote online. Wouldn't even think about local.
Actually, MicroCenter has awesome prices for processors and well, most stuff tbh. That's where I got most of my new build (mobo, heatsink, ram, HDD, case)

I tend to buy all my computer hardware online as I have no local stores that carry it other than Best Butt and Radio Shack.

I've been buying a ton of stuff from memory express lately because they price match online stores(and they ignore shipping costs) and I get the instant satisfaction :D. The downside is that you walk in to check out headsets and walk out with a new 5770.

Back
Top Bottom