lllooonnnggg 'welcome' screen wait

drumthrasher

Fully Optimized
at the blue welcome screen for windows it takes at least 1 minute to do anything. the hard drive light that blinks isn't on. i don't think this is due to any of my programs but i don't know. would unchecking the 'use the welcome screen' box help?

The time delay is created by programmes loading, to reduce the time delay reduce the amount of programmes that start at boot.
You can view these by using start > run > type in msconfig > start up tab (preferred method) or removing non essential programmes from the start menu start up folder.
You can also edit services that run on start up if you so desire.

off the subject... how does your LiteOn CD/DVD combo perform..? mine seems to get bad audio/video when playing from it... oh and the welcome screen... is it XP?

Start> Run> msconfig > startup, see what is in there, have a clear out.

Edit> I seem to be posting at the same time as everybody today..

yes its xp mce 2005 (but the help & support says mce 2004). the liteon is actually really good! i've burned more than 100 cd's and when playing music it sounds fine, same with dvd's. i had a cd burner before and it somehow broke after a couple of weeks. this one was only $25 at k-mart.

edit: i've done msconfig startup thing several times (everday actually) to get rid of things i don't need and i pretty much have.
edit2: heres a list of things that are currently checked:
msconfigchecked0ve.jpg

AND! a list of unchecked things:
msconfigunchecked8at.jpg

Yeah, basically using the MSConfig command in the run box, and unchecking some of the extraneous processes should speed up your start up. Lol, on my old comp I remember I turned off boot from floppy, saved a few seconds.

i've pretty musch done that to everything i don't want. maybe theres anything else i don't need? i'll put the expanded pics up soon.

Back
Top Bottom