Listening to Computer Music with Stereo

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuziambobby

Solid State Member
I currently have a nice stereo (Onkyo TX-8211 and JBL bookshelfs)
I have recently ordered a laptop computer with a 60 GB hd and a Sound Blaster Audigy HD sound card. I would like to put all of my music on my computer so I can play it through my stereo. My question is what file format should I use and what bit rate.
I want close to CD quality sound. Also I don't want to use more than 30GB of hd space and plan on ripping at least 100-120 CDs

MP3 format would be more versitile. I use VBR, or variable bit rate, which gives you the maximum sound quality at the lowest bit rate needed. It changes the bit rate while the song is ripped so that areas in the song where the audio is very complex, it uses a high number of bits per second, but then it uses a lower bit rate on areas of the song where the audio is not very complex and does not require very high bitrate in order to be comparable to CD-quality.

I use Musicmatch to rip my MP3s.

ReverseFluxx said:
MP3 format would be more versitile. I use VBR, or variable bit rate, which gives you the maximum sound quality at the lowest bit rate needed. It changes the bit rate while the song is ripped so that areas in the song where the audio is very complex, it uses a high number of bits per second, but then it uses a lower bit rate on areas of the song where the audio is not very complex and does not require very high bitrate in order to be comparable to CD-quality.

I use Musicmatch to rip my MP3s.

cut it out. mp3 will never approach cd quality

Try ripping a few of your most listened to songs using mp3 with VBR and 192kbps. And if you are not satisfied with them, use aac like EricB had said.

There are lossless codecs such as wma lossless but they use quite alot of space about 400-600mb a cd i think. Most likely the only compression they use is winzip style compression which reduces file size by about 20% (notice mp3s cannot be zipped smaller really thats because they are a pre zipped format).

As someone else said experiment with differnt bit rates as mp3 is a psycho-acoustic codec and it removes certain parts of audio that it does not think the human can hear such as if a loud sound is played at the same time as a quiet sound the human ear supposedly cannot hear the quiet sound so this is removed in mp3 saving space. MP3 files basically remove the content which is syupposedly inaudible to humans but different people have different hearing so what is inaudible to some may not not be inaudible to others.

Also use varied music to experiment with as some forms of music are more noticeably lower quality when ripped to mp3 format than others.

cougarslam said:
There are lossless codecs such as wma lossless but they use quite alot of space about 400-600mb a cd i think. Most likely the only compression they use is winzip style compression which reduces file size by about 20% (notice mp3s cannot be zipped smaller really thats because they are a pre zipped format).

As someone else said experiment with differnt bit rates as mp3 is a psycho-acoustic codec and it removes certain parts of audio that it does not think the human can hear such as if a loud sound is played at the same time as a quiet sound the human ear supposedly cannot hear the quiet sound so this is removed in mp3 saving space. MP3 files basically remove the content which is syupposedly inaudible to humans but different people have different hearing so what is inaudible to some may not not be inaudible to others.

Also use varied music to experiment with as some forms of music are more noticeably lower quality when ripped to mp3 format than others.

bull.

that's what they want you to think. you quoted the line for the old atrac (now called AAC or MP4) compression method. mp3 just throw away data, it doesn't care whether it's audible or not. then the mp3 makers stole the atrac line to get people to commit to mp3

you don't have to be a audiophile or a dog to notice the difference between mp3 and the original source. but even the most hard core audiophile is hard press to tell the difference between a 320 kbps AAC file and the original soure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom