Liquid Coolant Setup Help

Raku

Solid State Member
Basically in my new machine I was planning on doing a liquid coolant setup. I think this will be a good thread for any beginners on Liquid Coolant.

My first question is, do you need to buy chips with waterblocks on them? or does that normally come with your kit and you install it yourself. I am totally new and I am just wondering what it takes to put in one of thse systems. If there is a website which clearly illustrates how to set this system up, a link would be a appreciated.

Thanks alot! we all know what a bad setup of a liquid coolant system can do to a PC lol

you buy the tubing, waterblocks, pump, and reservoir/ t-line. You mount them just like you would a regular heatsink. It should take long to install everything. You will need to cut at least two holes for the tubing/fans. The hardest thing to mount is the radiator. There are so many orientations you can mount the radiator with. Hanging off the back, on top, internally or externally, in front or on the bottom. It all depends what case you are going to install it in. As usual, the bigger the radiator, the tougher it is to find a nice spot for it.

here is some examples of gpu cooler mounted. Keep in mind that this is a full cover block which cool the RAM and the core. There are ones where it cools the core only so you will need RAMsinks for the RAM. The core only coolers are better than full cover blocks. They also run cheaper in price.

Thanks alot! But I haveone more question. The CPU and GPU commonly come with a fan to cool it down, when installing a water block, do you manually remove the fan and replace it with a heatsink? Lets use a Geforce 8800 GTX for example.

If you have an external system, which work best, then you need some way to get the tubes inside. I would think, if they aren't too big, you could just run them through a card slot on the back.

Also, be careful which type of tubing you get. I bought a Coolermaster Aquagate and the tubes SUCK. Stiff as rocks, which makes for very hard setup, making sure that the tubes don't pop out of the f-ing waterblock. I also have a question. My Coolermaster Aquagate needs a bit more water... But the problem is, the tubes were so stiff, I had to cut them to the exact length to make it fit. Which means I need to take out the tubes to refill the tank (it's an internal build). Now I'm scared to take the tubes out, because I'm under the impression that if I do, the coolant will start to leak... Which would make for some bad computer messes. Will the coolant start to leak if I pull out the tubes? I think there is a valve, but I don't want to take any chances..

Raku said:
Thanks alot! But I haveone more question. The CPU and GPU commonly come with a fan to cool it down, when installing a water block, do you manually remove the fan and replace it with a heatsink? Lets use a Geforce 8800 GTX for example.

Check pics above, that is a 8800GTX ;)

And yes, cut holes in the case.

PaperPlunger said:
Also, be careful which type of tubing you get. I bought a Coolermaster Aquagate and the tubes SUCK. Stiff as rocks, which makes for very hard setup, making sure that the tubes don't pop out of the f-ing waterblock. I also have a question. My Coolermaster Aquagate needs a bit more water... But the problem is, the tubes were so stiff, I had to cut them to the exact length to make it fit. Which means I need to take out the tubes to refill the tank (it's an internal build). Now I'm scared to take the tubes out, because I'm under the impression that if I do, the coolant will start to leak... Which would make for some bad computer messes. Will the coolant start to leak if I pull out the tubes? I think there is a valve, but I don't want to take any chances..

Thats why you don't buy prebuilt kits UNLESS you can buy all the parts separately. Like the Swiftech and Petra's kits. Those are the best kits you can get. But obviously custom is better. And make sure not to mix metals. ie. aluminum + copper = corrosion no matter what. Copper + brass is okay and copper+ nickel is okay too.

Don't go Thermaltake for liquid cooling. They look cool, but don't perform as good as they look.

Back
Top Bottom