Linux noob..simple questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jam3s-Zer0

Daemon Poster
Hi, well i know nothing about Linux...absolutely nothing so i guess i should finally ask and hopefully find out.
So here goes...

1. What is Linux?
2. What are Distro's?
3. What are Ubuntu/Kubuntu/SUSE/Debian?
4. Whats does Linux offer than Windows doesnt?
5. When was Linux created?
6. Why do companys/schools not use Linux?
7. What is UNIX?
8. What feature does Linux lack that windows has?
9. Can Linux be used for gaming? Pro's/Con's?
10. Ive heard Linux is free...who created it and how does he/she? get profits from it?

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer these questions for me.
James.

I wrote the gaming part on the Windows vs. Linux wiki. :)

Here's what I had going before I saw macdude respond:

1. Linux is a free opterating system for your computer.
2. Distro's, or distributions, are basically packaged kits include software, and automatic setup of various parts of the operating system. They also handle how programs are installed/uninstalled and ungraded.
3. Those are four different different distro's.

One more thing:

I am extremely pleased with gaming in Linux, mostly because I only really play ID games, and they just so happen to release them all for Linux. :)

Nvidia pretty much owns the Linux gaming community, as the ATi drivers really aren't worth messing with. Nvidia's, however, work great. :) They even support SLi in Linux, mostly because Nvidia's drivers are universal.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I could talk about Linux all day long. :p

1. What is Linux: http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=define:+Linux&meta=

2. What are Distro's: A Linux distribution or GNU/Linux distribution (or a distro) is a Unix-like operating system comprising software components such as the Linux kernel, the GNU toolchain, and assorted free and open source software. Some proprietary software is found in certain distributions and is not free software. A Linux Distribution — or distro, en parlante — is created by individuals, groups and organizations from around the world.

3. What are Ubuntu/Kubuntu/SUSE/Debian: Ubuntu is a complete desktop Linux operating system, based on the Debian distribution. Ubuntu is sponsored by Canonical Ltd (owned by Mark Shuttleworth), and the name of the distribution comes from the South African concept of Ubuntu — roughly, "humanity towards others". ...

Kubuntu is an official derivation of the Ubuntu Linux desktop operating system providing KDE support.

SUSE: SuSE is a privately owned German company whose mission is to promote open source development and General Public License distribution and to be a Linux distribution provider. SuSE assembles open source components for the Linux operating system and related programs into a selection of distribution packages.

Debian Debian, created by the Debian Project, is a widely used distribution of free software developed through the collaboration of volunteers from around the world. Since its inception, the released system, Debian GNU/Linux, has been based on the Linux kernel with many basic tools of the operating system from the GNU project. The name derives from the people who founded the Debian Project: Debra and Ian Murdock.

4. Whats does Linux offer than Windows doesnt: Stabilty, this is the major advantage that linux has over Windows, and also it teaches you how to use a computer you have to make things work in Linux, whereas in Windows it is all done for you. Alot of people move to Linux expecting a windows type setup I always look at it like this " Linux: Like A box of Lego it was ment to be pulled apart, modifyed and played with. Win'doh's: like a toy car it works right out of the box, and when it breaks they have a cry and go and spend heaps more on a new one.

People who Complain about Linux Not being Windows are idiots, if you don't want to play and learn to Build with Lego why did you buy it, same philosophy...

5. When was Linux created: Open souce inititive was created by 1991, by Richard Stallman the founder of the GNU project, Travoldous (spelling) implimented Linux version 0.03 in September of 91
6. Why do companys/schools not use Linux: because they do not know any better, everyone uses windows therefore they must also use windows ;rolleyes
7. What is UNIX: http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=define:unix&spell=1
8. What feature does Linux lack that windows has: Gamming that is about it
9. Can Linux be used for gaming? Pro's/Con's: you can use an Emulator but they are slow and buggy, better off with windows for gaming. Having said this alot of the old ID games such as Wolf 3D and Quake work very well on Linux platforms
10. Ive heard Linux is free...who created it and how does he/she? get profits from it: See above, as for profit not all Linux distros are free, but the ones that are usally don't profit as such but get and maintain sponsors though the linux communty to help fund and maintain the opensource inititive

Hope this Helps,

Jake

jakec said:

9. Can Linux be used for gaming? Pro's/Con's: you can use an Emulator but they are slow and buggy, better off with windows for gaming.

True, but it also depends on the game. I only play one game under WINE, but I still get a great framerate with my relatively low-end graphics card.

Umm..... THERE ARE COOL GAMES FOR LINUX!!!

jakec said:

9. Can Linux be used for gaming? Pro's/Con's: you can use an Emulator but they are slow and buggy, better off with windows for gaming. Having said this alot of the old ID games such as Wolf 3D and Quake work very well on Linux platforms
Hope this Helps,

Jake

NEW ONES TOO GAHHHHHH

LINUX HAS COOL GAMES TOO!!!!! SUPPORT LINUX GAMING TO HELP THEM BRING MORE COOL GAMES TO LINUX!!!!!

Here's a list of my favorites (in no specific order, keep in mind these games do NOT require an emulator, they are native Linux games):

Unreal Tournament
Unreal Tournament 2
Unreal Tournament 3
Unreal Tournament 2003
Unreal Tournament 2004
Wolfenstein 3D
Quake 1
Quake 2
Quake 3
Quake 4
Doom 1
Doom 2
Doom 3
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil
Hexen
Heretic
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Nexuiz

Upcoming ones:

Unreal Tournament 2007
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

Thanks for all these great answers :)
A few more questions
1. Whats the best distro?
2. Why?
3. Which distro do you use?
4. Why?
5. If was too start using Linux, which do you recommend i use?

Thanks again
James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom