Linux Modem Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat

Solid State Member
Err, well, figured out why it doesn't work, now I have a different question before I go and buy a new, (non-win)modem.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a "PCTel platinum V.90" winmodem in Redhat linux? If so, how am I supposed to get it to work?

Nope. :( Sorry winmodems will not work under Linux. You're best bet is to get an external modem, they work 99.9% of the time:)

I've also noted that certain winmodems work in Linux with proper software, linmodems....
I found a list of pctel modems that do and don't work with the software, unfortunately, I can't seem to find which modem it specifically is, just says pctel platinum v.90.

Hmm, beginning to get farther.

Using the pctel-0.9.6 drivers I'm able to get linux to detect/use my modem.

Now my problem is that even though it dials, and the isp responds, I can't get it to connect, is there something else I should know?

Now that I know that I can get it to connect somehow (well, I know I'll have it completely figured out eventually), I refuse to go to a local store to spend the money on a new modem.

found those sites already, they helped my original problem. My problem now isn't connecting, its keeping the connection/logging in.

Doesn't seem to help that only some of my software "sees" my modem. I seem to think it might work if only kppp would work right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom