Linux Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakedog

Fully Optimized
Well, LK forced me into this one.. shouldn't have made fun of tux!!

I've used Suse and Red Hat and Fedora :p Some people would say any of those are the best.

Rofl. Rofl. Rofl. Those distros are like.. idiot-proof GUI's, not Linux. All three of those are directed towards computer-illiterate people, and you are not one of them. You cannot judge linux from those crappy distros. Now, I admit, I liked Fedora's install, but still, I'm not going to let you call linux bad just because of those distros. Because I would call linux bad too if I only used those.

If Windows did that; people would be all over it for which programs it packages in the system, or has names for in the system. It just wouldn't work for the masses of Closed Source Programs as it does for Linux with the tiny amount of major Open-Source Programs.

Which is why I love linux. We don't have a bunch of idiots swarming around it, for whom Microsoft has to make idiot-proof features to keep them from destroying the computer. Linux, because it's much more flexible, is not designed for newbies (unless you're referring to Red Hat, and the distros above). But the payoff of this flexibility, is being able to install X-Chat (An IRC Client), by just typing in "emerge x-chat" in a terminal, and Gentoo's portage system will download, unzip, and install all the files. Then if you don't like something, you can always edit the .conf file.

Why buy Linux

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Why BUY linux? Hahahah. Linux is Free. The best distros can be downloaded from the web. Windows is the one you need to buy.

for the style and then sit down and spend two days making it look like Windows

That would be true, except, it doesn't look like Windows. Not at all. Google for KDE, or Fluxbox, or Blackbox, or Gnome Screenshots (all of those are GUI's.) They don't look like windows.

If I were doing an essay on why Open-Source is useless I would of course need to spend time on the systems. I'm not.

Then why do you downgrade Linux? You just admitted that you don't really know how the Linux system works. So why keep dragging it down? Some newbie who is browsing the site might get discouraged from using a great OS. You're supposed to set an example, not spread opinions based on false facts LK, esspecialy because so many people look up to you.

Will You Just Drop It! Windows Is More Popular So Therfore It Will Get Put Down! Accept It!!!!

No. You are illogical.
1. Because something is more widely used, DOES NOT MAKE IT BETTER
2. Linux is not widely used because most of the distros are not designed for newbies. This DOESN'T MEAN IT'S A BAD OS.
3. You don't have a single arguement against linux, 99nashsa, so why are you even posting here?

LK is just going to post more "illogical" stuff in here anyways. A OS is an OS, live with it. He ahs his opinions and you have yours

i think that anything is better than windows, i reckon apple should sell their OS for windows PC's. dont knock linux till u've tried it, i havent but im going to and i think it looks pretty good from the screenshots

Ive never even touched linux let alone even seen it. Whats so good about it then?

Ive never even touched linux let alone even seen it. Whats so good about it then?

Then? Are you implying that because YOU haven't used it, that it's bad?

First off, you haven't seen it because you're obviously not computer-educated. Even some of the dumbest people in computers know about Linux. So since you're not a computer person, I have no reason to accualy even start expaining about linux. But I personally like linux because of, better security, effeciancy (we have a command line from which we can do whatever action we need), many many GUI's to choose from, reliability (try getting a 100 day uptime with a Windows box), custumization, etc etc.

Don't try to argue with me about this, because since you haven't used both OS's, your opinion really........ doesn't count.

I was just trying to create conversation, so therefore you didn't need to go and offend me. You have no idea of my computer knowledge so im asking you not to question it. And coming from a guy who spells "efficency" with an "a" mabye you shouldn't be the one calling me dumb.

Well, if you don't know what Linux is, that does put a label on you. It's a fact, everyone who is serious about computers at least knows about the world outside of Microsoft.

Who says I didnt! Im not the one in love with a piece of software who insists on defending it whenever the argument is brought up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom