Linksys Router Help!

Zekester2097

In Runtime
Hi, I would like to start by saying that, I have this old Linksys router, I don't use it anymore, but I wanted to put custom firmware on it. Something went wrong, while upgrading the firmware, therefore, bricking my router....
Here is a list of relevant details that might be useful to solving the problem.

-A website that lists information on this router, listed a brick code, that can be seen on the Power LED and DMZ LED flicker patterns. This code tells you why it cannot boot. (list at the bottom, taken from DD-WRT)
My router indicates a defective bootloader.

For those who don't know, JTAG is a connection on the router, ONLY accessible by accessing the motherboard. that connects to a parallel cable to a PC, the manufacturers used this to load the first firmware to the flash memory chip, my PC doesn't have this port, so I would hope that JTAG is not the only option for fixing this...
I do not know much about JTAG, feel free to search it...

How could I be able to debrick my router? Any ideas?
See ya! -Zeke

Here is the list :

"1 . The power LED flashes very fast. If it keeps on flashing longer than 2 minutes, without having lit up the other LED's, then a defective bootloader is present. However, if you can ping 192.168.1.1 (your router IP) you can try the TFTP recovery, otherwise you may need to open the router and use the JTAG recovery method below.
2. The power LED flashes very fast and after some seconds the DMZ LED lights up for approximately 5 seconds. In this case the Bootloader is intact and only the kernel (firmware) is defective. In this case you could possibly still recover with an ethernet cable if you reflash the firmware via TFTP (see TFTP below).
. The power LED flashes very fast and after about 20 seconds it lights permanently, but the DMZ LED did not light up. In this case Bootloader and Kernel (firmware) are intact, only a wrong configuration from locked up the router. This can happen if a wrong or corrupt value exists in the NVRAM. Here simply clearing the NVRAM should solve the problem." - DD-WRT

Last edited:
UPDATE : I figured out I made an error while configuring my router settings on my Windows PC, the default gateway was 192.168.1.1, the IP address was 192.168.1.1, when I changed the IP to 192.168.1.10, I was able to use TFTP to upgrade it, via DD-WRT's micro generic build compatible with my router...

Glad to hear you were able to get it running. Thanks for posting your solution, as well!

Back
Top Bottom