Linksys Cable Modem AC Adapter

catalyst1

BSOD
I decided to repost this here since nobody was looking at it in the network section. Please don't get mad! I just need an answer soon.

Quite awhile ago, I purchased a Linksys cable modem from eBay, and it seemed to work fine. The thing is, we had very slow internet speeds and had a guy come take a look. Most of the problem was with a bad splitter, but he also noticed that the modem's AC adapter was not original (it was a Gateway). He said that even though it is the same voltage and amperage, it COULD be somewhat affecting the network.

It had been far too long since I had bought it to open a dispute, so I looked on eBay for a new AC adapter. I couldn't seem to find one specifically for a Linksys modem, so I decided to just go ahead and get another modem altogether (also from eBay). I just received it, and the first thing I looked at was the adapter. Instead of a Linksys label (like my router has), it just says "OEM AC Adapter" and has all the specs and junk. Am I being screwed again? Do any of you guys have a Linksys modem with an adapter like this, or does it say Linksys on it? Is there a way to get just an original AC adapter, or will I have to get a whole brand new modem just for a stupid adapter? Thanks!!

I've had two routers off e-bay, and both came with AC adapters that wern't (in my case) made by 2Wire who make the router - you'r ok so long as the voltage output of the adapter matches the router.

As long as the voltage matches up, I don't see why it would effect the speed..

If its OEM, its not from the manufacturer directly..

So, maybe the box is different with no manuals, whatever.. the product MAY be the same in this case, but doubtful.

The splitter is more than likely the ONLY issue that is cutting the speed.

i dont think *most* router manufacturers make/include AC power adapters anyway. It doesnt make a difference if its OEM or not they all have to conform to the same standards :)

I decided to repost this here since nobody was looking at it in the network section. Please don't get mad! I just need an answer soon.

Quite awhile ago, I purchased a Linksys cable modem from eBay, and it seemed to work fine. The thing is, we had very slow internet speeds and had a guy come take a look. Most of the problem was with a bad splitter, but he also noticed that the modem's AC adapter was not original (it was a Gateway). He said that even though it is the same voltage and amperage, it COULD be somewhat affecting the network.

It had been far too long since I had bought it to open a dispute, so I looked on eBay for a new AC adapter. I couldn't seem to find one specifically for a Linksys modem, so I decided to just go ahead and get another modem altogether (also from eBay). I just received it, and the first thing I looked at was the adapter. Instead of a Linksys label (like my router has), it just says "OEM AC Adapter" and has all the specs and junk. Am I being screwed again? Do any of you guys have a Linksys modem with an adapter like this, or does it say Linksys on it? Is there a way to get just an original AC adapter, or will I have to get a whole brand new modem just for a stupid adapter? Thanks!!

It's no problem to use a different AC adaptor provided its decent quality and can output the correct voltage.

Most network devices are not picky on the voltage, the WRT54GL's can accept anywhere between 5V and 22V

I didn't think it would make a difference either. I could see where differences in frequency filters MIGHT affect the router's performance, but I was just more interested in getting a proper adapter. I knew since the adapter said Gateway, it wasn't original. Also, I then noticed that my Linksys router's adapter had a Linksys label on it, so I figured all of their adapters would have one. Oh well. Now I can't decide whether to use the Gateway one or the "OEM" one.

Back
Top Bottom