Linksys BEFSR41 VS Westell 6100

Data Dragon

Solid State Member
I currently have a new Linksys BEFSR41 router/switch that I would like to hook up to a Verizon-provided Westell 6100 DSL modem. However, when I followed the instructions and hooked the modem up to the switch, I ended up without the ability to access anything. At first, I tried to access the modem @ 192.168.1.1... then I realized that the router had the same address and figured out that they must be fighting over who gets to do the NATing.

I tried to disable DCHP on the modem, and ended up resetting it. Now, there appears to be several different things that could be causing the problem... but I really don't want to have to reset the modem each time (as I have to use Verizon's utility to restore connection, which takes enough time on it's own) so could someone tell me what setting(s) I would have to Disable/Enable for the modem to simply provide the connection and let the router do the rest? I have the following screen shots of the labeled settings from the Westell 6100 modem, if they can help.

DCHP Configuration:
8fe608f240c2cee41b91a5daf47e8c6b.PNG

Private LAN Configuration:
803ff82fc8582843bf73e667243df5e4.PNG

Public LAN Configuration:
24f5a8e4bb496fff94340558ddd38cbe.PNG

With many thanks,
Ian

Im not familiar with your particular modem, but you basically need to do some kind of bridging or un-numbered mode. What this means is the verizon modem needs to pass the public ip info on through to your router. Essentially turning your modem into a converter box ... converting the signal from dsl phone line to ethernet ... then letting your linksys do the routing.

There are 2 ways to look at this:

1. The username/password (PPPoA or PPPoE) info can stay on the modem, but pass through public info all the way to your linksys router. Qwest modems call this unnumbered mode.

2. The username/password (PPPoA or PPPoE) info can be handled by your linksys by bridging the modem and entering the info into your linksys. Here's a link that shows how to do this with your modem: http://www.lava.net/support/Westell_6100_DSL_Modem_Installation_Guide

Your best bet is to call Verizon tech support and explain to them what you're wanting to do and see if they can walk you through it.

Yes, this is exactly what I want to do. However, I don't know if the modem has an "unnumbered" mode and I don't know the PPPoE information (it is automatically set by a support program) to bridge the connection over to my Linksys router. (It does have PPPoE functions, but I don't know if Verizon will appreciate my not using their modem.)

I will try the guide and see if I don't have to set the PPPoE functions on the router... but if I do I guess that I will have to call Verizon... *sigh*

Still looking for alternatives! ;)

-Ian

Verizon isn't going to mind. The PPPoE information is your username and password that was created for your account. They should have already given that to you when you started your account with them. Since you don't have it, give them a call and they should be fine giving it to you. You have right to configure a wireless router (or wired) to connect to your internet service.
If anything ... give Verizon a call and ask them how to configure their modems for use with a wireless router.

BTW ... I prefer the unnumbered mode where the login information (PPPoE) is kept on the modem (unnumbered mode) ... no particular reason ... just seem to have the best luck / performance that way.

I had tried (after resetting my modem) reestablishing the connection using the information that was used for the default email account (which in my experience is the actual account info) but it didn't connect and I had to use the "quick support" application after logging into the website in order to reconfigure... but I will still give it a try and let you know what happens.

-Ian

Back
Top Bottom