Limits to Overclocking

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
Hey guys.

I am desperately trying to get my Opteron stable at 3 GHz, but it never wants to. I'm not concerned about temperatures but I cannot get it stable! And, I've read a lot about overclocking, so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing.

My question is: are there physical blocks to the processor's maximum overclockability? Where it is the reason why it cannot overclock? Or is it not the limitation, but the motherboard, RAM, etcetera is?

Also, another question. Is there any way possible that I can get a Dell motherboard and CPU to overclock? Is there another BIOS available with the options unlocked? Or will I have to buy a new motherboard to get these options...

Thanks!

I think it's the BIOS limiting yo9ur overclock. Trying flashing it then upgrading to the new version. Plus, it's more then likly not your RAM or CPU, as the RAM and CPU both get overclocked when raising the FSB. So, maybe it's the FSB and its ability to not process or send inforamtion that fast? :confused:

it could be the ram. Since as leetdude already said when u raise the FSB u oc the ram, and when u oc the ram it can get unstable. And what geil ram are u using? But try setting the ram on a divider and see what happens.
I'm guessing it's not ur psu since it should be enough.

And if the ram divider doesn't help then just raise the voltage. :)

If you run 3dmark and click on details that tells you about your computer. It will tell you the limit your CPU can go to.

oh and about the dell.
If u can find a modified bios (99% chance that they won't be made by dell) which enables oc'ing then u should be able to oc fine. But it could be quite hard to find something like that.

But as far as I know that the only way u can oc a dell. And getting a new mobo should make oc'ing possible, unless the new mobo also has a locked bios.

you will need to run your RAM on a divider. AFAIK, Geil RAM isnt good for ocing unless you have the UTT-BH or TCCD varient. It could also be your psu. Try bumping up the voltage to 1.6V.

Okay, I already am running a RAM divider when trying to overclock. When I'm trying to hit the 3 GHz mark I usually set it on 266 MHz (as opposed to the normal 400 MHz, because this is just the way my BIOS is set up) and usually I have it on 333 MHz. When set on this, I have HT frequency down to 4x, my RAM runs at 200 MHz, and my CPU runs at 255 MHz (FSB). The multiplier on the Opteron 148 is 11x. I've got it running at 1.425 volts. However, when I try to get it past that mark, really, I get crashes and everything, even at around 1.525 volts and such! Since my RAM frequency is actually going down (when I switch to 266 MHz, when I boot it while at 3 GHz it usually reads about 177 MHz on CPU-Z) I don't bother to change the voltage. But, whenever I run AquaMark3, Prime95, or 3DMark05, it always will crash in the first minute or so. I can't really figure it out. I just don't think it is my RAM since it isn't being stressed at all, and I don't see how it is my CPU because I've upped the voltage a whole tenth of a volt (my BIOS only allows voltages to 1.55 for the CPU). Could it be my motherboard? According to CPU-Z, my power supply fluctuates on the high end of these voltage settings...

And where could I go about trying to find a modified BIOS?

Your going to need to up the voltages to make it stable...Simple as that. And if your temps go through the roof, then you need better cooling.

Not everyday that you can get an athlon up to 3ghz on stock cooling

99nasha said:
Your going to need to up the voltages to make it stable...Simple as that. And if your temps go through the roof, then you need better cooling.

Not everyday that you can get an athlon up to 3ghz on stock cooling
he has an opteron

Flashing the bios is risky business. You muck that up and this whole excrise is going to be a mute point. Unless there is a real and I mean real problem with your computer that has been corrected by an updated bios, then you might want to follow my advise>>>
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
You will not find radical bios updates that will open the overclocking for most systems. You muck this up and you'll have an interesting center peice for your coffee table.

Back
Top Bottom