Life is short, the art long - Hippocrates

bzhagar

Beta member
Hello, everybody. My name is Bryce, and I find myself on this forum for the same reasons as many of the current members here: I enjoy the advancing world of technology. I have been slightly involved with the technology world for a large portion of my (19 year) life now. However, only recently have I began to take it very seriously. I am at the point in my life where I must make some defining choices in my life. If you have made it this far, you likely have a minute amount of interest in what I have to say; therefore, allow me to introduce my background and a little information on my situation.

I have a profound, emanating passion for computers and the technology that surrounds them. I have toyed with them for the majority of my (19 year) life. I am a student at my local community college with only 11 credits left to finish my transfer degree. The time for me to decide is well over due. The options for me are: computer science or computer engineering. I really love to program, however, I find difficulty in keeping myself involved with it. I have practiced with a few languages (most fluent with Java and Python), but I never get to a level of competency with any. I lose focus, soon finding myself altering my direction. I also am enamored by all forms of physical technology. When I was 12, I saved up a large sum of money over a years span to build my own computer system. I spent countless hours researching all of the hardware platforms, weighing the pros and cons of each system setup. All throughout my life I have been involved with some sort of technology and I am hoping to make a career out of it.

Now here is my conundrum: should I major in Computer Science or Computer Engineering? I understand there is no "end-all, be-all" for this question, but I am hoping that, through the collective knowledge base members on this forum, I can position myself to make a life changing choice. I have the drive and mental capability to accomplish any challenge I set for myself, although, I tend to lose focus without some defined, set goal. Therefore I am forcing myself to make a choice to choose and to follow this path firmly.

My proposition to my readers - post your personal experiences and any relevant knowledge you have of these two degrees and the career paths they lead down, and we can all engage in some hearty conversations. That is what I feel the magic of forums like this are for. People can share their ideas in a community and combine there wits to form something greater than the sum of its parts.

I look forward to seeing the information that arises from this post and hope to take something meaningful away from it all. If you care to ask any questions, please do! Sorry for the long post, but I sincerely appreciate any advice given.

Thanks all,
Bryce

Back
Top Bottom