lid close switch on gateway m460

given to fly

Beta member
I have a gateway M460 that is a few years old, and the LCD backlight suddenly stopped working. Unfortunately I don't really have any extra parts to be able to test to see if it is the inverter or the backlight itself, but I did notice something else that maybe somebody can help me with.

I noticed that when I close the laptop, it does not go into standby mode like it used to so I'm thinking that maybe the open/close switch is messed up. I read somewhere online that it may think the lid is closed so it won't turn the backlight on. And we are renovating our house so it's possible some dust got into it and could be messing it up, but there is one problem. I can't find this switch. If anyone is familiar with this laptop, could you please tell me where the switch is located exactly, and the type it is. It would be great if it were something simple like this.

Thanks in advance.

Found it. There is a tiny magnet in the plastic shroud that goes around the lcd panel. It wasn't settled correctly, but even after I fixed that, the backlight still isn't working. Guess it won't be just a simple fix.

Back
Top Bottom