LED1 on motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eznebla

Solid State Member
HI
I'm trying to do my first PC build and I have a problem. I had the motherboard installed in the case with everything hooked up except my drives. I plugged the computer in to see if the CPU fan and the power button and power supply would all be working. They were.
I installed the hard drive, floppy drive and CD/DVD rom drives. When I truned the computer on again, the CD/DVD rom drive didn't come on, but the floppy did. I had the CD drive plugged into IDE2 on the motherboard. I turned the computer off and moved it to IDE3. When I went to turn it back on, the CPU fan just moved a bit and then nothing. The Power supply wouldn't come on.
I have two LED lights on my motherboard, LED1 and LED2. LED1 isn't coming on anymore. Can someone tell me waht LED1 is for?
I tried hooking up a different power supply and the same thing.
I don't know what happened. Maybe you can tell I don't know much of what I'm doing. I never did this before. Could I have did something to my motherboard by switching the CD drive to the other IDE connector, or maybe by plugging and unplugging the computer like I did. I couldn't turn it off with the power button, so I had to unplug it.

1 LED is for POWER
2nd LED is for Hard Drive activity

keep them on IDE 2
but be sure you have something on IDE 1 as well

and also make sure your Datacables' (red or white) side in on pin 1 of any of IDE port

ok, thank you, LED1 is for power. So if it's not on anymore, would you know if that must be my power supply? Could it be something else? Because when I tried a different Pwr supply, it was an old one that was only 120 watts. I didn't attempt to turn the computer on. I just wanted to see if I could get a power light (LED1) and I didn't. Maybe it didn't have enough power either?

Thanks for the advice: I'll keep the CD rom in IDE2. I have a hard drive in IDE1. But I can't do anything right now because somethings wrong.

See, I bought this new case knowing the power supply must be crap, but I'm not sure that's the problem yet. Oh yeah, when I first powered on after I put the drives in, the keyboard lights weren't on either.

So if LED1 is out and I can't get the power supply to run, is that telling me to go buy a good power supply? I just don't want to if it might be something else.

if u have connected the small cables (of buttons/led's) correctly, then LED1 means power.

did the fan turned on?

also, do you have he plug only on PC? or other things as well? as sometime if one connects the PC to a multi plug socket, where other things are runnig, PC wont start (one of my client did burnt up sealed pack Radeon 9800XT in this way)

good power supplies doesnt start normally if the power is imbalanced.

Power Problem

When you work on the computer you should unplug the power before pluging or unpluging things inside your computer.You should either have a wrist strap or at least ground yourself on the case to discharge any static electricty from your body it can fry components.Like Blind_Arrow asked are your fans turning anymore.Your ram stick or vid card could be loose not seated properly.What is the processor chicp intel or AMD did you use thermal paste on the chip for cooling.If its AMD you need to be carefull of heat it will fry very quickly.Youll probebly need to get a newer power supply to make sure.But try this Take out everything off your motherboard but the ram chip and video card and hook up your keyboard and mouse and then try to boot.If that dosnt help take your motherboard out of the box and lay on a static bag and try to boot it.It could be grounding out .Let me knoe if this helps.And also give some more info.

outside the case

I took the board outside of the case and just set up the keyboard, memory, video card, monitor, cpu heatsink and fan. I had it on the antistatic bag the board came in.
First I tried to just plug the board in. I didn't even have the case power connector hooked. Nothing happened so I connected the power button. I tried powering on and the same thing. Oh yeah, I reset the cmos with no power. I even tried taking the cpu and fan out and resetting the cmos.
All this gives me the same result: I plug it in, the red LED2 comes on, LED1 stays off, I try to power on and my fans budge a bit, then nothing.

I did use the thermal compound and everything.

The tech guy at the motherboard manufacturer said he couldn't tell it it was the board or the cpu without testing each. I don't have another set of amd cpu and board to try it.

I also took my power supply in to a local computer shop and it tested good. They couldn't help me with amd stuff though.

here is my board: NF2S-AED

Blind_Arrow

My fans don't run anymore. Power won't run now even. And I did unhook everything from the power supply except the board. There is nothing else plugged into the board except the psu, ram, cpu and video card.

NF2S-AED pic XFX ste

Hey

Did you reseat your ram stick it could do this to.If not it most likley is your ram motherboard or CPU chip.That is all that I can figure.Youll need to have them tested.

Yeah, I reseated the ram. I'm just going to exchange my cpu and motherboard. I bought them on TigerDirect and they said I could exchange 'em.
Do you think it could be the ram too, because I didn't even consider that, that it might be bad?

What PSU make/model is it?
What is the advertised power rating of it (400w,430w etc.)?

It's a "linkworld" 400W, model LPK2-30. It came with a Linkworld case I bought. Nice case. Cheap supply. It tested out good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom