LED vs Plasma

Mattmatt

In Runtime
This is for my uncle, and he is wondering the differences between LED TV's and Plasma TV's. Money is no object, and he is thinking of getting a 51 inch TV and a 60 inch TV. He really wants to get a samsung, because it has very good reviews and the quality is very very good. He wants the 3-D capabilities, and the Smart TV. Once again money is no object, so we would like some suggestions!

Matt

LED is light emitting diodes, better colour vibrancy, usually a better refresh rate but without specs, its conjecture.
plasma is a gas, which is bad if you accidentally drop the TV ;) and it had a higher refresh rate VS LCD tvs, but LED have taken over.

so yeah without more specs, cant say which is better.... but, i believe LEDs will last longer. plasma tvs have about an 9 year life cycle if kept on for about 8 hours a day. LCD had about 11, LED about the same.

thats best case scenario though, my LCD lasted 4 lol, replaced with an LED

What tends to fail in these newer tv sets are transformers, cathodes, and capacitors. The actual display it self rarely fails.

Plasma tv sets will get better black color than an LED or LCD set ever would. LED tv sets also tend to consume less power than the "LCD" sets.
Also, just note, most times, an LED tv is an LCD. It is just the backlight being advertised. A cathode backlight consumes a lot of power, and gets hot compared to LED backlights.

So if you had the choice between a top of the line plasma or the top of the line LED, what would you choose? Do you think he should get both because he needs two, and if so, which one should be the LED and which the plasma? (51 and 60 inch TV's)

*EDIT The 60 inch TV is going to be in a bright room, and he wants to put it 17 FEET away from the couch, I have found a better place to put it, but he doesn't know right now where he wants to put it.

"top of the line" is a subjective term, it all depends on the specs.
most TVs will always be different, the LED might have a better contrast ratio, but then the plasma might have a better refresh rate.

you really need to post some specs. but personally, i'd go LED. Plasmas used to be targetted at people who watch like, high def, fast action stuff like sports or action movies - but these days theres almost nothing in it. I just dont like the idea of gas ;)

plus, LED i would imagine are easier to repair

Depends on the screen, some you actually have to take the real screen apart, others it's just a bar of lights that can easily be changed out.

Back
Top Bottom