Learning how to make games

up-smash

In Runtime
I'm interested in making a multi-player game. A 3D RPG beat-um-up.

I know I'm asking a question like "What is the meaning of life"?

But, what kinds of things do I need to make a 3D multi-player beat-um-up for the PC/Mac?
Do I need a team of people to make this possible? or can I do it on my own?
Any suggestions for Software (preferably free) that I can use to create a game?

/discuss

That's a pretty freakin big task. Think about how much money, years, and man hours it takes to make a AAA game.

I would recommend learning a programming language. From what I hear Python is one of the easier languages to learn, but I think one of the C varients is mostly used for gaming in Windows.

Coding4Fun : Beginning Game Development: Part I ? Introduction
XNA Creators Club Online - downloads
Video Game Programming: Scripting, level design, tools, and play area skills required for various platforms.
How to make a video game - Google Search

Start simple, go mod a game first.

If you are just one person software development team, that is about the only that you will be able to do it. And even there it will be hardwork.

Think about the others things too.

Artwork for characters, maps and npcs
Sound effecs, music sound track

And since you are doing an RPG, you will need to come up with a story, characters, plots, subplots. And to really mess things up and at more work, you are going to need RPG game mechanics.

Seriously, could be get a sticky or faq made up on tech forums just explaining exactly how much work that is required for developing games. If you need to do it properly, you need more that just one person to do on thier own.

they do have some like..uhmm things that are sorta like shells to do this sort of thing. my friend done it once. It's like literally the shell of a game and you just add things to it. Seems easy...but it's more like modding instead of making from scratch. Can't remember the name of it though, sorry :(

Here's a list

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/list.php

Try a few engineshttp://www.devmaster.net/engines/list.php on there and see what you can make of em..

From what I browsed 3drad is the best if you don't know code and seems to be possible to be picked up by non coders. Only thing is a 30 day free trial. and after that is 159.99 dollars. Theres a few others on there and I'm sure that if you choose a popular one there will be mucho tutorials on Youtube and other various sites.

At first I was going to recommend Gamemaker But I didn't see any 3d fighing demo games on that. But if you want to make an RPG ... its good.

so basically trying to do this by myself is like trying to punt the earth closer to the sun with my pinky.

Essentially yea, for instance in the programming area you will find a thread about a game engine called FIFE I chat to the lead developer from time to time (Really good bloke) and they are not trying to make the game just the engine and that alone has took them years to do.

i'd imagine the engine itself would be outdated before its even released.

so would my team have to work in a single place or can we work from our own homes?

some games come with the engine that was used to make that original game.

For example Nwn 1 and 2. You can create modules that you play, im not sure if you can use them for online play though. I have messed around with it a bit for nwn2 made a few things. It is pretty hard work, and requires alot of concentration. One wrong script used and it messes up anything connected to it.

Back
Top Bottom