Learning Computational Fluid Dynamics..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
before i start i will make it clear i will shorten Computation Fluid Dynamics to CFD throughout the post.

For no particular reason fluid dynamics interests me, and i am studying Physics at college (not the american version of college, the UK's version :p) and i would like to end up with a job using computers designing stuff that uses CFD simulation software during the process of developing whatever it may be, valves etc.

So i may aswell start learning it now. So far i have discovered that the most widely used CFD software in the industry is called Fluent, so that is what i shall use. To use Fluent, i also need mesh generation software (quite a few people use Gambit) to create the mesh for Fluent to work with. But to create the mesh, obviously i need some kind of CAD software to make objects that can be saved in the .igs format. IGS meaning: "2D/3D vector graphics format based on the Initial Graphics Exchange Specification (IGES); used by many CAD programs"

So it's pretty confusing stuff. But what i need is some reccomendations of software to use, particulary CAD software that can save in the IGS format.

Thanks,
Oreo.

p.s. I had and still don't have any idea what section this should go in,so OT it is :)

Max, BNFL and there sub contractors are really interested in people studying Fluid dynamics for the next gen set of nuclear reactors coming online in the next 10 - 30 years. Having this on your CV could land you a lucrative job some day pal keep it up.

Yeh, Physics teacher was telling the class that the UK is really short of Nuclear Physicists and people working in that area, and that we'll need a lot for the new power stations. I don't think i'll be good enough at Physics to have Nuclear Physicist as my job title, but i reckon i can do this pretty well.

I just wish there was a guide on where to start and what programs to use though.

Well max my dad started in engineering as a 2nd rivet, when he was 15 he climbed inside boilers with a wedge so some guy outside could hammer away with a rivet gun, he was in his last job NSO and QA senior for the 2nd shift during core removals thats one of the most senior jobs on a decommissioning site. The last reactor he was pulling down was the first one he put up, he isnt physicist he is a enginner "what works on paper isnt what works in the real world" is the one quote from my dad that I will always rember. **** Magnox reactors where supposed to be a standard layout but most of them are unique and only utilise the reaction chamber core in there design.

Dunno about on that side of the pond, but over here the Navy is the biggest producer of nuclear engineers. Only about 3% of the population can score high enough to get in on it, though. Four to five years of service (with the first two plus being school) and you are set for life including security clearances. NASA and TVA are the two main snapping up nukes from the Navy, recruiting them before they even finish their stint.

Might be worth looking into if you can, Max.

Trot for your reference file %80 of ships in the British navy are nuclear powered and 30% of them have nuclear first strike intent built into them from their conception the other 12% that are nuclear capable are designed to use nuclear weapons in defence of the UK only IE full launch authorization needs to come from a designated command source and ballistic targeting data is loaded from the remote source.

Dunno about on that side of the pond, but over here the Navy is the biggest producer of nuclear engineers. Only about 3% of the population can score high enough to get in on it, though. Four to five years of service (with the first two plus being school) and you are set for life including security clearances. NASA and TVA are the two main snapping up nukes from the Navy, recruiting them before they even finish their stint.

Might be worth looking into if you can, Max.

Well, i am moving to the US asap, so perhaps. The chances of being in that 3% are pretty slim, though.

Anyhow, this is getting slightly OT :p (In a good way, i guess). I need someone with google skills to find me the correct programs to use :D

On a side note, Nuclear physicists are under paid - from what i read they get between £40 and £40k despite the fact they are undoubtedly some of the most intelligent people in the world. They should be paid 2 to 3x what they currently are..

Oddly max the science used in nuclear reactors is now that well known it's considered a skilled but not overly so trade, they have since the 80's known what you need to man a control station in a CCR you prity much need nothing to work there other than a understanding of basic physics and maths at a higher level to work in one, 90% of the systems are automated **** last safety report I read said that a reactor can baring a core dump can run unmanned for 72 hours without check and that estimate is massively conservitive.

Ah and max dont run off to the USA to fast rember we have it alot better here not just in the UK but in the EU in general , medical care for one.

Yeh but, this countries boring.. and i don't like our laws. The UK's healthcare is abysmal by the way, we have the worst cancer survival rates of nearly all european countries and more than twice as bad as the US's survival rate.

I'd say if you're poor, you get looked after better here. If your wealthy, the US is a better place.

And remember, the people that built those automated systems must be phenomenly clever at physics, those are the guys that should get paid more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom