Learning Car Painting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from what was said all ready, if you need you sand paper between primer paint jobs, you will be needing some fine grit sand paper. 1200 grit to start off with, and you work your way up to 2400 grit. (Possibly further). IMPORTANT!!! Get this sand paper from the Auto Shop, not from your hardware shop.
I had to do some touch up on my car over christmas, and I found that the hardware shop sand paper was courser than the auto shop sand paper.

You will also want a resperator mask for both sanding and painting. If it's just a touch up job, you can get away with the cheap papers ones. If it's a big job, or you are doing this for a living, get good one.

those grits are WAY to high for sanding primer...to sand primer either go with a 400 or 600 grit. 1200 to 2400 is just smoothing it out..you dont want paint on a smooth surface because it won't stick.

make sure to use WET SAND too...otherwise you'll just clog up the paper quick and go through twice the sand paper.

1200 to 1800 was I was uusing to fix up my car on the holiday break. And it's working.

you use those grits after you spray clear coat.

the purpose of those grits is to get rid of imperfections and to smooth out the clear coat.

primer only gets 400 to 600. 400 being preferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom